THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can a DPMS barrel be used with an Armalite upper (AR10)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a DPMS barrel be used with an Armalite upper (AR10)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quick question for the experts here:

I have an Armalite AR 10 upper and lower receiver, that I'm now assembling to a completed rifle.

A friend has an DPMS (308 Win) barrel that he wants to swap.

I've researched the question via Google, and the best I've come up with is "maybe".

Anyone here know? Thanks in advance.

And yes....I did a search over at AR15.com (no definitive answer...that's where I got the "maybe")

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yes they are interchangeable like the AR15 models.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:

NOT true. If you have a DPMS LR-308, then you do not have an AR-10. The are as different as a rem 700 and a Win 70. Parts should not be interchanged, and in fact there are some parts in the bolt carrier group that when interchanged can result in a dangerous condition.

John

Posts: 557 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:

NOT true. If you have a DPMS LR-308, then you do not have an AR-10. The are as different as a rem 700 and a Win 70. Parts should not be interchanged, and in fact there are some parts in the bolt carrier group that when interchanged can result in a dangerous condition.

John

From DPMS's website:

quote:
Are the upper and lower assemblies of the LR-308 line of rifles interchangeable with other manufacturers rifles? (For example: Can I put a DPMS LR-308 upper assembly on an Armalite® AR-10™ lower assembly?)

No. The assemblies for the DPMS LR-308 line of rifles are proprietary and will not interchange with other .308 caliber rifles.

What is the differences between just the barrels?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, I just called DPMS, talked to steve, law enformcement and military sales, (320) 258-4448
The LR-308 is NOT an ar-10, nor would the parts be interchangable with an AR-10.

Opinions otherwise nto withstanding, the manf says NO.

have a nice day

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac is correct. The barrels will interchange. I'm pretty sure the bolts and carriers are pretty much interchangeable. You really should have the bolt that goes with the barrel though to insure headspace is correct.
Try AR15.COM for all your answers. They are pretty good over there and talk this type question often.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:
Westpac is correct. The barrels will interchange. I'm pretty sure the bolts and carriers are pretty much interchangeable. You really should have the bolt that goes with the barrel though to insure headspace is correct.
Try AR15.COM for all your answers. They are pretty good over there and talk this type question often.

"Pretty sure" can get your head blown off in this game. AR15.com is the last place you want to go for facts.

DO NOT mix bolt and barrel extension parts between the two rifles. Gas system length is different on the two, thus gas tube length is different. Not a safety issue, just function. Bolt parts are a whole different matter.

Quite certain I've built a few more than the guys over at ar15.com.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am only asking about the barrel.

AR15. com has lots of information about the other parts of the gas operated recoil system (DPMS vs Armalite) and how they do and do not interchange.

AR15.com doesn't answer the question regarding the interchagability of the barrels.

The question remains: Can you use a DPMS .308 barrel in an Armalite upper receiver (regardless of bolt, gas tube, etc).

Thanks,
Garrett

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I have not personally performed a side by side comparison, but if you have access to both barrels, then it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to make a determination. Both barrels need to be off the recever and it shouldn't require anything more that a set of calipers, a depth mic and a cartridge and/or no go gauge. If you wish to PM me I will walk you through the process of measuring them.

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I'm a member of ARFCOM and did a search.

Here's what I found.

"The DPMS barrel extension was shorter by .015 between shoulder and the end of the extension which meant the DPMS barrel didn't sit as deep into the receiver. Might not be a big deal but I thought it might cause a few feeding problems so I machined it to fit."

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

"Pretty sure" can get your head blown off in this game. AR15.com is the last place you want to go for facts.

DO NOT mix bolt and barrel extension parts between the two rifles. Gas system length is different on the two, thus gas tube length is different. Not a safety issue, just function. Bolt parts are a whole different matter.

Quite certain I've built a few more than the guys over at ar15.com.

John

Bolts on AR15s (notice AR15, not AR10) are made to a specification and should be interchangeable. That's one reason they are readily available. Should you buy and just stick it in your rifle? No..you should ALWAYS check the headspace when any part is changed that is involved in headspacing a chamber. Notice I said if he were to get the DPMS barrel that he should get the bolt that went along with it when it was headspaced.

AR15.COM has some really good members on it. Yeah some of them aren't worth a hoot.

It sounds like manufactures of the larger caliber ARs may be at odds with one another, whereas AR15's are pretty much all a standardization of parts.

Westpac still has the best idea...compare the two barrels.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Just received this email reply from a company that you would think would know.

"JP Supermatch .308 barrels use standard extension pieces and will fit both
DPMS and Armalite upper receivers, as well as Knights, Bushmaster, Rock
River, etc."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Firing pin diameter on the DPMS bolt, .081, on the AR-10, .071. What you gonna do, use your Armalite firing pin in your DPMS bolt, have fun with them there cratered and pierced primers. Oh, you just going to buy a DPMS firing pin to put in your Armalite carrier, sorry bub, retainer hole in a different place in the carrier and also no provisions for the firing pin anti slam fire pin that Armalite felt was needed. Oh, and if you try using a Armalite firing pin in your DPMS carrier be ready for some big time slam fires due to the firing pin being to close to bolt face due to the different location of the retainer hole in the carrier.

Sure, the barrels will fit into either receiver, but there is more to it than that. Which gas system length does JP us on there barrels? AR-10 uses a longer gas tube than the DPMS.

Not everything is as easy as it sometimes seems. Use the correct parts for the rifle you have.

John

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Firing pin diameter on the DPMS bolt, .081, on the AR-10, .071. What you gonna do, use your Armalite firing pin in your DPMS bolt, have fun with them there cratered and pierced primers. Oh, you just going to buy a DPMS firing pin to put in your Armalite carrier, sorry bub, retainer hole in a different place in the carrier and also no provisions for the firing pin anti slam fire pin that Armalite felt was needed. Oh, and if you try using a Armalite firing pin in your DPMS carrier be ready for some big time slam fires due to the firing pin being to close to bolt face due to the different location of the retainer hole in the carrier.

Sure, the barrels will fit into either receiver, but there is more to it than that. Which gas system length does JP us on there barrels? AR-10 uses a longer gas tube than the DPMS.

Not everything is as easy as it sometimes seems. Use the correct parts for the rifle you have.

John

All "bub" asked is if the barrels will interchange. The answer is yes, they will. If these barrels use a standard extension, and it sounds like they may very well do, then it is likely "bubs" bolt will work so no need for "bub" to worry about firing pin diameters, cratered primers, pierced primers and out of place retaining holes.

What "bub" should probably do is get a headspace gauge so that he can check it before final assembly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well the fellow said he had the Armalite upper and lower. Didn't say what carrier or bolt he has. So he can choose the brand he wants to put in it or is gasgun now going to tell us the DPMS carrier won't fit the Armalite upper. That barrel won't know what bolt and carrier are behind it...as long as the bolt head spaces right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you all are beginning to appreciate the dilemma posed by my question.

Thanks for the information...this isn't an easy one to answer.

Garrett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Garrett,
It is an easy one to answer and we do it all the time around here. Just keep an inventory of DPMS as well as AR-10 parts in stock and build whichever barrel the customer wants. Really no big deal. There are differences in the barrel extensions, there is no STANDARD barrel extension for the big AR family. Yes, the barrels can be put into either receiver, but that is not the quality level that we work to. Others, JP being one, my work to a lower quality standard and that is fine. In my experience, you are just better to do things the right way. So, in my shop, when the question comes up will one barrel fit the other, the answer is NO because it is not the correct way. Every shop has a different quality level, and the answer may be yes in other shops. This will be my last post on this board, if you have any other questions feel free to give me a call. You should not have to look very hard to figure out where to get hold of me.

John

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Malm is always a wealth of information. I've learned a lot from him.

In this case, I'd listen to John (Mr. Hollinger).

www.whiteoakarmament.com

www.whiteoakprecision.com

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote