New
Find
Notify
Tools

P14 metal work question
 Login/Join

posted
Hey
After the "ears" have been cut off during a convertion, what do you fill the rear receiver hole with? I have heard of Silver solder and welding but would like to hear the pros and cons of both. Any other "fillers" out there?
Question #2
As far as changing caliber on this action the 300 magnums seem to be a common choice, why havent I seen a 350 rem Mag out there? Is it any harder to convert or just not desirable? Thanks for your ideas

Posts: 10 | Location: Fort Mcmurray Alberta | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Last one I filled I cut a coldrolled plug and v'eed the edge and gas welded. That was years ago but worked fine and looked good. When I was in school they called it the 'birdbath' and that was the reccommended procedure.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have one in a 500 jeffe

anyone can will this.. gas process with nickel rods is probably the best for bluing.....

wrap the front 1/2 of the action in heat paste/wet rags

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would make a mild steel plug and TIG it.

If there was ever a .350 Remington Magnum, I never heard of it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I just mig the hole closed

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me rephrase that-The only .350 mag I know of is a short action cartride. When I think of an Enfield, I think of BIG rounds, like .375, .505, etc. The only BIG Remington magnum requiring an extra-long action was the 8mm.

I have been having trouble getting my thoughts to the keyboard to the screen for some reason lately. WOndering if it has anything to do with that grey stuff sprouting on top of my head???

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey
thanks for the info

Posts: 10 | Location: Fort Mcmurray Alberta | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 8mm Rem Mag. case and the 358 bullet just neck it up. Make full use of the actions length.
Timan

Posts: 1225 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hey
I saw lots of magnum length cartridges out there already but dont they all require magazine lengthening as well as feeding alterations? I just thought the .350 Rem mag would eliminate the lengthening part.
The 8mm Rem mag necked up the .358 would be moose stopper for sure.
I was wondering if some of the conversion veterens could post up a list of requied mods for the p14 to accept the magnum cases? Thanks in advance

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Isn't an 8mm Rem necked up to .358 a 358 STA?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote