New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does this sound right?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went to put my new McGowen barrel on my Savage action and it wouldn't thread on. So I sent an email back to savage-barrels.com where I bought it to see what they wanted me to do. I got a reply today and it didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. So here is the email traffic.

quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: products@savage-barrels.com
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2011 8:13 AM
Subject: Barrel Problems

Jon,

I recently got a .243 Win 1:7 twist small shank Savage pre-fit from you. Well my action I was going to build this rifle on finally came in this week. Yesterday I went to install the barrel and I couldn't get the barrel nut nor the receiver to thread on. The threads just don't seem to match up. Do you want me to send the barrel back to you or should I take it to a gunsmith to figure out what the problem is exactly first? I don't have any way of measuring the thread pitch at home to see if that is the problem.

Thanks,

Chad

quote:
Chad,

Let me talk with McGowen tomorrow. I am sure that they will pay to have it picked up and then make the assessment on what might be wrong.

Thanks,

Jon

quote:
Chad,

Below is the response from McGowen on your thread issue. If you don't feel comfortable doing this procedure, maybe your gunsmith can help.

Let me know if this is satisfactory.

Thanks,

Jon

----- Original Message -----
To: Products@Savage-Barrels.com
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: Barrel Problems

Here is what I tell them when I get these problems. McGowen cuts their threads to the high side of the thread tolerance. The reason that they do this is because we have to make barrels not only for new actions, but older ones also. This ensures that the threads are not sloppy. The easiest fix is to take some emory cloth and wrap around the threads and take the high side of the threads off. Just wrap the sandpaper around the threads and roll the barrel back and forth with even pressure. This will take the threads down at the peaks. Do this for a few minutes, try it on the receiver and then if it doesn't fit do it again until they fit.

Dan

Does this sound like it will really fix my problem?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe yes, maybe no, but I'll guarantee once it is messed with, you own it.

Posts: 75 | Location: Maine | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
That is why I won't thread anything unless the item I am threading it for is my shop. Too easy to screw up the fit. Usually, the depth of cut is set based on the major diameter. If the major is off, there is a good chance so is the minor. Of course continuing along the lines of McGowens instructions, you could go to Home Depot and buy a 3 cornered file. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I am not a gunsmith but sold threading tools and gauges for years so I have some knowledge of threads. There are a number of factors that can cause interference of threaded parts. Major diameter, minor diameter, pitch and pitch diameter or any combination may cause parts not to fit. Unless you know which is causing the problem, don't make any alterations. If you have the original barrel and can measure pitch and major diameter and compare those measurements to your new barrel, that is a start. If you don't have the ability to measure those, consult someone who understands threads and finds out what is causing the interference.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
That is why I won't thread anything unless the item I am threading it for is my shop. Too easy to screw up the fit. Usually, the depth of cut is set based on the major diameter. If the major is off, there is a good chance so is the minor. Of course continuing along the lines of McGowens instructions, you could go to Home Depot and buy a 3 cornered file. Big Grin

I'm going to run it into a local GS and have him thread it to my action and barrel nut. I really don't want to screw up the barrel. Going to cost me more than I intended but it is the safer bet in the long run.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you could go to Home Depot and buy a 3 cornered file.

Hack move. People in the know use a thread file. rotflmo

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
quote:

No, people in the know use a lathe!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it is right or wrong. I know I've had a couple new barrels pre threaded for a 98 style action that I had to use a touch of valve lapping compound. Then LAP the thread/action combo to get them to screw on all the way.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
quote:

True.
A great way to foul up decent threads is to use a thread file.

Thread files, Triangle files, anything other then a die or a lathe is for salvage work only. But never on a barrel. That's one area you don't want a mickey mouse fix

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know Westpac. Sounds like McGowens does not.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I know Westpac. Sounds like McGowens does not.

One might think that based on their solution. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not a gunsmith but sold threading tools and gauges for years so I have some knowledge of threads. There are a number of factors that can cause interference of threaded parts. Major diameter, minor diameter, pitch and pitch diameter or any combination may cause parts not to fit. Unless you know which is causing the problem, don't make any alterations. If you have the original barrel and can measure pitch and major diameter and compare those measurements to your new barrel, that is a start. If you don't have the ability to measure those, consult someone who understands threads and finds out what is causing the interference.
tu2 Sounds practical too ME !.

If you would like Larry the Cable Guy to get er done fer ya , I seen him using one these last weekend and dam if he didn't have all his fingers intact yep all 6 of em !.

rotflmo jumping

Have a Competent GunSmith check out your situation , because I have a sneaky suspicion once YOU alter ANYTHING YOU BOUGHT IT and that might not be the bargain you'd hoped for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ridgid 300, you can thread, crown and ream all with pressure feed cutting oil. rotflmo Pure production.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ran the barrel and action into HTC yesterday, I've used them before for my first custom rifle. Rich gave me hell about using the Savage action, but I just smiled and said "My shop rate is cheaper than yours." Wink Scary thing was he admitted I was right.

He said he should have it done in a couple of days. He said it should be an easy fix. I hope I don't see a reflection of my comment in the price when I pick it up. Eeker

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rich gave me hell about using the Savage action

does that mean you get a discount? LOL

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Rich gave me hell about using the Savage action

does that mean you get a discount? LOL

Well he didn't rake me over the coals that is for sure. Got the barrel back, and Rich said the valley of the threads wasn't cut deep enough. Charged me $40 for the work so I'm happy and my rifle is just about together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylor,
I'd call the guy at McGowen back, and tell his the results of the visit with your smith, and that bill you got for a "screw on" barrel. I'd see if he instantly offered to make it right, and if not, I'd start walking it up the chain until I got someone who did. Then post their response, here, there, and every where so everyone know what kind of customer service the provide, or fail to provide, as the case may be.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote