New
Find
Notify
Tools

lengthening synthetic stocks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone manufacture pre-fit spacers to significantly increase the length of pull on plastic stocks? I need a length of pull around 15+ inches for a stock to fit. I guess what I am looking for are spacers and replacement pads that are thick, like an inch or more. I don't care what it detracts from the rifle in terms of looks- I punched myself in the face again with the back end of a scope a few weeks ago out in Montana, and I'm real tired of it.

I have had wood stocks lengthened with spacers and pads, and I don't like losing a rifle for several months to get it accomplished- I've also done it myself, and the process takes a lot out of me, to the point that I don't want to do it.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tin can, I know pacmhyr makes a decellerator that's an inch think, I guess with a couple of spacers one could pick up and inch and 1/4 to an inch and half or so.

They make them in grind to fit, so maybe that could fix you up.

good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tin can,

Try Brownells. They will have everything you need, including the acraglass to glue them on.

Many thicknesses of spacers, which can be "stacked".

Pads can be had up to 1/8" thick too.

I don't know about "pre-fit", but a 'smith
really shouldn't several months?! Try a local
guy for the best turnaround time.

Secondly, I don't know what you mean by "plastic"? You would be better served
by having the rifle restocked with a good laid up stock. You can then have it the color and length of pull you need!

http://rimrockstocks.com/

dancing

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don-

by plastic I meant any synthetic from the usual manufactures; I have several spacers, 1/2 inchers, and three thick recoil pads I'll put on three of my rifles as time goes by.

I appreciate the responses, I guess what I'm asking is does any manufacturer make spacers that are prefit to a particular gun company's synthetic stocks, or a stock manufacturer's particular line of stocks.

and I'll check Brownells and Midway.

thanks again.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i lengthened this stock about 1.12 inches...

it came with a 5/8 pad

took a 1 in spacer, ROUGHED it to fit, cut a fillet on the edges to fit closley inside the stock about .250-- so .75 total length added, and used expoxy to fit to the stock and make it a perm setup

then put a 1 in pad on it, .365 more, fitted as normal. filled any gaps with expoxy, sanded in, and painted it with krylon

worked out okay

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are exactly what I've been waiting for- a man who tried and succeeded at what I'd like to do, without me having to ruin four or more pads trying to figure it out.

so actually, once I got the spacer edge right to fit what would be the open end of the butt (no laughter), epoxying the pad to the spacer and sanding in a fixture would get me there, it appears.

I've not bought a rifle with a synthetic stock because I didn't think I could get it longer as easily as what you have shown in your post. now I'll just have buy one, I guess... Smiler

thank you.