New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some thoughts on this?
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
I have a M96 full wood military rifle, that untill last night, I thought shot fairly well (about 2MOA)with its soderin peep sights. BUT last night when I was cleaning it I noticed that when I got close to the muzzel, about 10mm, the cleaning rod skiped forward as there was no resistance. I looked up the barrel and sure enough there was a "shadow" around the bore. I concluded that this was a bulge, I didn't take the front sight so I don't know if the outside of the barrel is effected. Any thoughts from you guys as to a possible cause? and if I cut off the effected could I expect a increase in accuracy?
Bakes

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
If it is a bulge, you'd probably be better off cutting off bhind the affected area provided you don't have to cut off too much. If you do cut the barrel and re-crown it, I wouldn't be surprized if the re-crowning alone improved accuracy a bit.

Good luck,

-Catter

------------------
Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice , practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Scott H>
posted
Bakes,

If the rest of the barrel looks good, cut it and crown it. A good m96 is capable of 1 MOA with target sights (or less with younger eyes than mine.)

It might not be a bulge but could be muzzle erosion from hot gas sucking back in the muzzle.

[This message has been edited by Scott H (edited 01-10-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you cut, I'd suggest taking some Flitz or similar metal polish and work that bore well to get it squeaky clean. Then see if you still have the problem.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If its a bulge then you should be able to feel it with the fingers if your carefull..the metal has to go some place and thats out on a bulge...

Lots of things can cause that shadow but if you feel a jump with the cleaning rod then it is probably bulged to some degree but heck 2" with irons ain't all that bad, if it ain't broke don't fix it, is a good gunsmithing motto....I shot a bulged pistol barrel in pistol competition for years, it was the best shooting 38 Special I ever owned. It had a real egg in the center of the barrel...covered half or more of the sight post.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys guys
Ray that is a good motto, but its got me wondering how good it will shoot with the bad bit chopped off and a new crown.
Bakes

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote