Notify
Tools

Re: ER Shaw barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
for elk

bubba-
While you say your rifles are shooting that well- fine - but that type of track record would not go un-noticed by the shooting community at large.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bore tail? Hummm I gotta get some of those for my next whale hunt (Herters 22 Hornet loaded with Herters "wasp waist" bullets, in a Herters kayak of course).

Herters ad's were great Each item was the best thing money could buy and all other products of that type were trash, until you turned the page a identicl product carried the same claims.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own and have owned rifles with both Shaw and A&B barrels. Best is a Shaw Rem 700 varmint contour in 222 that shoots half inch or better. Worst is an A&B on a 98 Mauser in 7x57 that hovers around an inch and a half. I really can't complain about Shaw or A&B up to this point. If and when I use either again, the whole picture might be different.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by Zach....
Lets say a rebarrel with a shaw barrel costs $700. To have it done with a Douglas or Shilen would maybe amount to $50 more. A lilja adds another $100. If you are already into it for $700 why not spend an additional $50-100 to raise your odds of getting a .200" shooter?

It's pretty easy to answer your question, Zach. IF you were into the project for $700......an additional $50-$100 might be justified.

The fact is......a Shaw costs no where near $700. It costs less than $200 installed by Shaw. An additional $75 for squaring receiver, bolt face, and lapping lugs if desired.

At worst that's about half what it costs to install another brand barrel. The market that Shaw serves would invest the saved $200 in other action modifications or stock.

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess a significant percentage of their service is used for that person who wants to convert a Mauser or Springfield to a good hunting rifle.

Let's say a Springfield that our mythical gun nut wants to build in 338-06.

$135 - barrel
$ 60 - install
$ 40 - forge bolt handle ($55 for weld on)
$ 45 - Timney trigger installed
$ 30 - Timney low safety (Buehler copy)
$ 35 - D&T for Redfield bases

$345 - Total....and you're ready to stock. You'll have a gun that shoots around MOA.....maybe better.....and a perfectly suitable rifle for years and years of hunting. That product and service is a price performer. If our guy decides to spend $1000 having someone stock this.......I doubt it makes his choice of barrel any less useful.

I think one of the telling things about the posts of people who use Shaw barrels.......is the fact that many of them have barrels from a variety of manufacturers, covering a rather diverse range of quality and expense. They aren't neophytes. They spend big money when they feel it's warranted.

I'm not a target shooter. If I was.....I'd surely pick some brains on this forum for the better barrels for that avocation. I'm a hunter. All my rifles are hunting rifles. A poster in one of these threads intimated that a hunting rifle requires only 2-3" accuracy. I personally demand a bit better than that, and Shaw certainly fits the bill.

I wouldn't hestitate to rebarrel a factory rifle with Shaw.....and I'd certainly recommend it to a friend. Likewise I would, and have, built hunting rifles around military actions with Shaw barrels.

I don't feel it's false economy at all. Even if an upgrade to a Douglas or Shilen would amount to the price of a brandy a week for a year.

I like brandy.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
You just run the fluting in opposite direction of the barrel twist and the two counter act each other.

Sorry couldn't help it

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, Rick and Teal--just curious, have any of you ever owned and shot a Shaw or A&B barrel? If a barrel will shoot in the .200's, how much more accurate will the Hart's,etc. be in a hunting rifle?

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me take a stab at answering that question. How much more accurate will they be? Maybe none at all. However, if you look at percentages, you stand a much better chance of getting one of those premium barrels to shoot .200" than you do a Shaw or A&B. When either of those shoot that good it is the exception rather than the rule.

I suppose if you are doing all the work yourself, then the lure of saving a few, and I mean, few dollars by getting a cheap barrel sounds appealing. However, if you are paying someone to do the job then the actual cost of the barrel is a small fraction of the total cost.

Lets say a rebarrel with a shaw barrel costs $700. To have it done with a Douglas or Shilen would maybe amount to $50 more. A lilja adds another $100. If you are already into it for $700 why not spend an additional $50-100 to raise your odds of getting a .200" shooter?

It would be sort of like playing the lottery where one particular store (A) gets winners on 75% of their tickets. While all the rest would get maybe 5-10% winners. Would you drive an extra five miles to go to store (A) or just buy a ticket at any other store?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You must have misunderstood or misinterpreted something I said.

I never made a comment about the pluses or minuses of any barrel...only the prices.

I don't own a Shaw barrel, don't know anyone who does, and don't know what their quality is or isn't.

As far as prices for their barrels (not the installation, just the price of a barrel) it ain't that much different from a Hart, Shilen, Krieger, or any of the other barrel manufacturers. That's all I ever said.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No I have not owned one - never even said they were crap either - just pointing out the fact that while a gunsmith is important - a good barrel is too.

Just really trying to say that if you are looking to launch a bullet and thats all - Shaw is ok. If you want tack driving consistancy you MAY (probably need to spend more.

Randomly pick out 10 Shaw barrels and 10 Hart. Then mount them all on the same action done up by the same gunsmith - wanna bet which ones are gonna do better? In a real accuracy caliber say 6ppc.

Read some of my earlier posts - please I am not cracking on Shaw - never said not to use them. Just said there is a reason why they aren't charging the same as the premiums do - their product does not warrent it. Maybe once in a while it does like those A&B's you say are in the 2's but on a day in day out operation? I don't think so.

Nothing wrong with a Shaw just do not walk into it thinking it is the same as the others just cheaper. Like I said you can not complain when it doesn't shoot as well as a premium. The analogy to the lotto is close. ANY purchase made is a lotto ticket - I just plan on buying mine where 75% of the winners are sold thats all.

BTW - define shooting in the 2's - once or damn near every time you burn powder? Lots of internet MOA or sub moa guns out there - shot a .345 group once - does not a "in the 3's" gun make. Not a flame but I think if A&B or Shaw was capable of that at a consistant basis we would hear more bout it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a used Remington 700 on gunbroker that came with an unchambered #5 contour .308 barrel made by ER Shaw or so they said......Had my local gunsmith chamber it in .308, blue print the action, and perfrom a trigger job. Using Federal Gold Medal match ammo with the Sierra 168 MK, it will touch three rounds at 100 meters. It cleans up in less than 5 patches with butch's boreshine. So either it's someone else's barrel or I got lucky.

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote