New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott, Barrel lug, screw or no screw
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thought I would post here instead of big bore first.

Anyway, I'm building a Lott, plan to put a barrel lug on it, not sure if want a screw in it or not, was thinking I do.

The only guns with barrel lugs I have are CZ's and they have a screw.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I have a Parker Hale, Mauser in 458 Win. Mag and it has a lug with a screw and one without or double barrel lugs plus the normal action recoil lug plus two cross bolts!! Either they thought they were going to have problems or they were and hedged their bets!! I would do the scew one myself, but that is just me. Others may have vastly different approaches. Good Luck.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
My Winchester 70 .375 has barrel lug without screw and I'm working on a CZ 458 Lott which has one. I'm also working on converting an FN from .458 WM to Lott, which didn't have a second lug but does now. I hadn't thought of putting a screw in it, and now that I've thought of it I won't. I don't think it adds anything but would definately complicate the bedding. Maybe I'm lazy? No, I'm definately lazy so I'm going to keep it simple.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toomany,

what dim. did you make your lug (how big)

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Speaking of which, all the winchesters don't ahve the tie down, all the CZ and rugers do

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
Toomany,

what dim. did you make your lug (how big)

The lug I made is roughly a 1/2" cube, dovetailed and soldered to the barrel. Once I soldered it I put it back in the mill and cut a relief angle on the forward and side faces to aid in removal from bedding.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote