Find
Notify
Tools

E.R. Shaw barrel and installation work
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
I'm thinking of using Shaw to rebarrel/rechamber a "working" rifle with a mannlicher stock. I would appreciate any information or advice before going to Shaw.
Thanks!

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of people call them crap. However, I bought one for a "working" rifle build for one of my kids. It works fine and puts hand loads into MOA or better groups.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Go with Midway; their barrels are from Green Mountain and are excellent $100 barrels. I have known guys with Shaw barrels that shot fine too.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had 2 shaw's over the years. One was crap!!! Other functioned as a hunting rifle just fine. I have not used a Midway but no several that have with satisfactory results.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last place to save a buck on a gun is the barrel...It cost a lot to have a barrel installed, chambered, blued and what ever, and if it doesn't shoot good, and many Shaws don't then it costs twice as much to stick another one in..Just my two cents..I would, at the very least, go with a Douglas, they are real good barrels and don't cost much more..

I use mostly Lothar Walthar barrels..They all shoot great..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone's $.02 ... Thank you!

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This is my opinion, so you can't take it to the bank and get even a penny for it..............

I think the difference between high dollar and low dollar barrel-makers is NOT how well their best barrels perform. Rather, It seems to me the difference is "What percentage of their barrels are sub-standard performers?"

Me, I prefer to buy the best I can afford, for my own rifles. For a truck gun or for a loaner rifle, I'm sometimes willing to gamble with a cheaply priced product.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Go with Midway; their barrels are from Green Mountain and are excellent $100 barrels. I have known guys with Shaw barrels that shot fine too.

the GM barrels are discontinued in large part.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've seen duds from most barrel makers - shaw barrels, for a working gun work fine. you are likely to have a barrel that fouls more, or isn't quite as accurate as a shilen .. but, who are we kidding, when putting together a fun working budget gun, the shaw barrels work.

lots of trash talk about shaw, adams and bennet, etc etc etc .. YES, they aren't a nicely made as barrels costing 5-10 times as much -- but when your budget is X, and a better barrel costs 1.25X alone, it can't work.

my only advice is to ask for a recessed crown

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are keeping the full stock, can they match the original contour of the barrel?

Who is going to fit the wood to the new barrel?

Regardless of whose barrel you use, the mannlicher stock is more work to fit.

I have used 4 Shaw barrels with good results.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear the support for Shaw barrels. I believe in buying the best you can afford but I have no interest in this rifle project becoming a money pit.
Regarding the mannlicher stock, maybe I'm being a bit naive but I'd like to think I can find a similar contoured barrel and do any stock work myself...that's all part of the fun...right?
Thanks for all the input!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Shaw barrels I have installed shot well enough. The bore was definitely not as smooth as other brands, but then I only buy a makers "match grade" barrel if I am purchasing for the project.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple4:
I'm glad to hear the support for Shaw barrels. I believe in buying the best you can afford but I have no interest in this rifle project becoming a money pit.
Regarding the mannlicher stock, maybe I'm being a bit naive but I'd like to think I can find a similar contoured barrel and do any stock work myself...that's all part of the fun...right?
Thanks for all the input!

And ALL brands of new barrels almost always work fine for hunting rifles. The difference between the bargain stuff and the high priced spread is the percentage of the low cost ones which aren't real good. It is higher with the low cost ones because of looser QC standards. Usually not enough to matter. Still, if you are also paying someone $200-300 to profile, fit and chamber a barrel, the total cost of the barrel isn't much different between a $100 barrel and a $200 barrel.

Anyway, something I think is just as important is how well the makers stand behind their barrels and installations. Shaw has an excellent reputation in that regard, while at least one of the high-priced barrel companies is not nearly as easy to deal with in that regard. (So I don't buy that company's high-priced barrels at all anymore.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cast a lead lap in those 'cheap' button bbls, lap them and give them a slightly tapered bore (tighter at the muzzle) and they will shoot a woefully good and foul no worse than any other custom barrel.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1175 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote