Notify
Tools

375 Ruger in a tang safety M77?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Got my barrel on order, and my stock.

Other than the CRF issue what would be some issues for the tang safety Ruger?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
Got my barrel on order, and my stock.

Other than the CRF issue what would be some issues for the tang safety Ruger?

They have a fully & easily adj. trigger, the stock is fat on the forend & you can find them cheap. jumping

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
As long as it has a long action and the right bolt face it should be no problem.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
This was the first rifle I have ever owned in my life, my grandfather gave it to me when I was 12.

I had to use the action for something, as I have a ton of other rifles I like a hell of a lot more and are more accurate.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
26 inch fluted Shilen match grade #5 contour with a thumbhole fiberglass stock.

Going to do the Swarovski 1.7-10x50 rail.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it'll work, and feed really easy

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was the first rifle I have ever owned in my life, my grandfather gave it to me when I was 12

The ones that mean something are always the best to keep.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I killed my first head of game with it when I was 14, a Wyoming antelope. I had a chance on a super bull elk but the angle was wrong and dad made me wait. It's been a running joke for 17 years as I never got another chance on a legal elk like that.

About 3 years ago I was up on the mountain helping dad get his, and on the way back to camp the night before the opener we ran into this 360 type bull 200 yards from camp. Can't go breaking the law just to kill a big bull, as I didn't have a tag, and the season wasn't open for another 10 hours. So as of yet I have not taken an elk on my own. I have been in on the killing of other folks elk, but never my own.

Navy keeps me away most seasons, and I we moved to 3 different states while I was in high school and I only had an elk tag twice. I think my grand total for elk tags is about 4, not 100% on that. Anyway I am digressing.

I have hauled that rifle all over the west, and I want to continue to use it. I figure a 375 Ruger in a Sendaro type rifle ought to be perfect!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
26 inch fluted Shilen match grade #5 contour with a thumbhole fiberglass stock.

Going to do the Swarovski 1.7-10x50 rail.

I don't know about a thumbhole stock on a hunting rifle that is going to be carried, but to each their own.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
What did you mean buy that?

I like the thumbhole stocks, they limit recoil in big guns.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Stock and barrel showed up at my father's today. Looks like the smith will have it on Monday and hopefully my rifle will be done in a few weeks.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Talked to the smith today, my father dropped off the stock, so we agreed on the following.

Barrel 26 inches, should be .750 contour at the end.

Fluted

Matte black finish.

Going to have a trophy engraver put "Hammer of Thor" on it and a the old Norse emblem on the floorplate.

Charging me $250 to blue print action and install barrel.
$90 to open bolt face.
100 for matte blue.
$25 for opening up the barrel channel. I have $200 to him already so for another $265 we are done.

Really excited!

First 375 Ruger, and first custom rifle built to my design, using an action that really means something to me.

Kind of like taking your high school sweetheart to the plastic surgeon to get new boobs, collegen lips, and a tummy tuck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't know how a thumbhole stock can "limit" recoil. Have fun with the rifle, it sounds like it will be a good one and don't buy into all the hype you hear.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Tip Burns had a brand new one in the box, but I think he already sold it.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
I really don't know how a thumbhole stock can "limit" recoil. Have fun with the rifle, it sounds like it will be a good one and don't buy into all the hype you hear.

Chic you must be kidding?

A thumbhole transmits recoil in a different way through your body. The Bell and Carlson is similarly designed to the original Lawson thumbhole. I would say it is a copy cat, but I don't know that.

Every 30-06 I shot when I was 14 or younger kicked the crap out of me. Shooting the same cartridges in a custom thumbhole halfed this recoil. I have done similar experiements as an adult with similar rifles in 338, and 375. That I had several stocks for.

Pounds of recoil are always the same, the speed is the same, but the palm of your hand absorbs recoil and so does the shoulder. In a traditional classic rifle recoil is only transmitted to the shoulder or the shoulder and the face.

Try this using a thumbhole stock, push agains a fence post driven into the ground. Then try it again with a regular classic stock. You will have more control and power pushing over the fence post with the thumbhole. If the push is more controled the recoil is more controlled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99
Does your tang-safety rifle have the steel triggerguard and floorplate?

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
It does, if I had it to again I would have done a hidden floor plate, and I might end up doing a Lawson thumbhole with a hidden floorplate. This would allow me to hold a couple more rounds if I used an extended magazine box.

I plan on building more similar rifles in the following calibers. 30/378 Wby, 338/378 Wby, and 416 Wby, and a 257 Wby.

Probably going to use Hart barrels, laminate stocks, and Mark V actions.