New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 30 Timney trigger question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Remington Model 30 Express and would like to replace the factory trigger. The 30s were built on/around the US M1917 Enfield. The early 30s were cock on close and later changed to cock on open, which the 30 Express is. So, the question is, will the cock on close Timney trigger for the "standard" cock on close M1917 work on a cock on open 30 Express ?

Called Timney and asked them, they said they really didn't know because nobody could remember the question ever being asked.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think it should work, maybe some modification would be needed to the action/trigger.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
timney used to be ( i havent looked in years) available in long or regular (5 or 6 shot they called it) and either cock on open or close.

daystar? dayston? made a trigger as well.. might still

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a second variation M30 in the shop, s/n 67xx, in the scarce 25 Rem caliber.

So pulled it down and I have a older Timney spare trigger, black housing but with stamped markings not the newer Lazer engraved markings.

The only difference I can see and measure is that the Timney sear location is .015" farther to the rear than the factory single stage sear.
This difference will not allow the factory bolt to recock on opening.

It is close enough it could be refitted, either the sear or the cocking piece.
Also perhaps a new production trigger may OK in your receiver.

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
timney used to be ( i havent looked in years) available in long or regular (5 or 6 shot they called it) and either cock on open or close.

Dayton Traister. Some people swear by them. Some swear in the other direction. I'm an "on-closing" man myself, so I've never had any reason to find out either way.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Thanks -- I haven't messed with an enfield in more than a moment -- built several of them, made a profiling jig, and then lost the bug on them

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks -- I haven't messed with an enfield in more than a moment -- built several of them, made a profiling jig, and then lost the bug on them

"made a profiling jig...."

DO TELL! Um, any chance of a picture of said jig, hmmm?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dayton Traister is still there and they do offer a trigger for the P14s and the M1917, but they don't say much about it.

http://thehawkenshop.com/Produ...-Assembly__DMTP.aspx

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdsx:

"made a profiling jig...."

DO TELL! Um, any chance of a picture of said jig, hmmm?

It's in a bin, in the shop. Must be somewhere "safe"... From me finding it along with misc Enfield stuff. Last time I did any Enfield machining was when we built the first 500 accrel

In general, I took a 1" piece.if round bar, countersunk both ends, the took flat stock for mounting the action , and turned it in a massively interrupted cut to radius the rear .. bar in the jaws and against a center in the tailstock. very very very light cuts, takes awhile, but it works.

I had the Enfield bug bad for awhile.. hopefully it's past

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Massively interrupted for sure, but if you take your time, it gets the job done. I built a radius fixture to grind a profile, but haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. Since I won't mill the ears off an intact action, the only receivers I work on have already been cut down, and none so far have had enough material left to grind the profile.

Sorry to hear you lost your Enfield calling, but you can be comforted to know I've picked up the torch for you. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Oct., 2016 I replaced the original trigger in my COO M30 Express with a Timney SPE1-4, 5 Shot, American Enfield Trigger. Item # 110

SKU # 0 81950 00110 1

Works well. I think I had to remove a tiny bit of wood inside the trigger slot of the stock.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
In Oct., 2016 I replaced the original trigger in my COC M30 Express with a Timney SPE1-4, 5 Shot, American Enfield Trigger. Item # 110

SKU # 0 81950 00110 1

Works well. I think I had to remove a tiny bit of wood inside the trigger slot of the stock.

Thanks Rob. I thought all the Express versions were COO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, I made a mistake which I corrected above. The gun I put the Timney in is a COO, cock on opening.

It's an Express in the 20000 serial nmber range.

I confused it with another M30 in the safe, I just went down to verify, it's COO and the Timney works fine.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rec'd and installed the trigger. Other than some wood removal in the trigger mortise, it was a drop in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear, send us a range report. Mine was bored out to .35 Whelen and shoots very well in the original stock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells handles the DAyton Traister trigger for Enfields and Rem 30s..Thats what I used on my big bore Rem 30 conversions..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote