New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 stock crack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My dad's 99 has a crack in the buttstock that starts at the tang, and runs back and about halfway down the left side. Not a huge crack, but does open up a bit when I put some pressure on the stock...I would like to keep it original, since it is an older 99, so is there any quick fixes that I could try? I guess I could always get a new stock from Brownell's, but like I said...I want to keep it original.

Formerly "the444shooter" I think I had about 73,000 posts before I had to re-register Wink

God Bless and Shoot Straight

God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh--Voltaire

Posts: 69 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i would tear it down, check how much it can "spread" and inject acraglas into the crack. then heavily wrap in surgical tubing.

boyds also makes a good replacement

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe's idea is a good one as long as the crack isn't filled with oil, the acraglass won't stick.

But if it's clean you an spread it a bit and either blow the acraglas in with compressed air or spread it over the crack and hit it with a heat gun. The acraglass will thin down and run into the wood. Then bind it up with the tube.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had exactly the same problem on a 99 that I purchased. It was an old crack, and I was concerned that oil had gotten into it and that the epoxy would hold, so I agraglassed a threaded brass rod through the wrist. I purchased by rod from Brownells, but I think a fine-threaded bolt with the head cut off would do the same thing cheaper. Once everything has set just carefully file it flush with the stock and the crack won't reopen.

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I asked the same question over at the savage collector forum@ 24 hour campfire. I received lots of replys & then repaired my own. It turned out VERY good. I can't even see the crack today. Here is the link to the post with pictures at each step. Good luck!

Repairing savge 99 tang crack

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That crack is a common occurence on Savage 99's, the wood around the rear of the receiever is too tight and the recoil eventually splits it. Find the biggest ziplop bag you can, I think the 3 gallon fits the buttstock and put in some acetone and the stock and aggitate it and you can see all the oil come out of the crack and the action and then try blowing in the bedding compound. Gorilla glue would probably work as it is superstrong and dries an amber color, only problem is it foams as it dries and needs to be wiped off frequently.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
SRT,
i like gorilla glue alot, but not for firearms.. the line never goes away, and WHEN it tears (it will) it looks like the same glue gm uses on headliners..

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
check out the link, these guys fix cracks on a regular basis.

http://p102.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearms...e?topicID=2312.topic

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT USE GORILLA GLUE!!!

Jeffe's formula works fine, chemicals are available from Brownells to degrease the wood if need be, and it is probable that the stock will require that. The acetone thing works but it is an extremely hazardous cleaner, the fumes can be fatal, and it is volatile as well. It serves no purpose to remove the oil from the wood at the cost of having a crater where your house once existed.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the cost of having a crater where your house once existed.

DD, I have always taken your posts as gospel, and now I am faced with notion that you have exaggerated!

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm am truly flattered, and will admit upon reflection that perhaps the slab will remain. Smiler

However, I gotta ask if you've ever seen footage of a genuine fuel vapor explosion? Eeker Acetone fumes can crack like the wrath of Thor my friend. Not unlike the theory of the fuel vapor bombs used in the last couple of Gulf War excursions. Note that those vapors aren't contained either. For a REAL good time try ether. It does more to inhibit crack lab production than the law ever will. thumb

OTOH, you may want to video such endeavors for future display on AFHV, they have a 100K grand prize each year for the funniest videos. Big Grin

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
on injecting the acraGLAS

go to the feed store, get some ~3/4" syringes, and you are done.. no needles PLEASE

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Vapor from 1 gal. of gas is same as 14 sticks of
dynamite. That is not a guess as I have seen it
and talked to the lab boys who mixed it.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote