New
Find
Notify
Tools

.450 Rigby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A client is very eager to build a .450 Rigby and asked my opinion of building one on a M70 Ultra Mag action. I advised against it, since most actions intended for Rigby sized cartridges have a larger diameter barrel shank and bolt body. Then, I remembered Dakota offered the .416 Rigby in their M76 action which is just a M70 variant. So, am I being too cautious or would the M70 action be OK for the .450 Rigby?

Also, since the Ultra Mag cartridges are nominally 3.6", the length of the M70 magazine box, would it be safe to lengthen the mag. well for a cartridge that is .150" longer?

Thanks,

Roger

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
CZ550. Built mine on this action. Very easy to make feed properly. M70 just is not large enough.

Same action Rigby uses for the 450.

Mine below when I was in the building process.

This cartridge with full loads has "generous" recoil. I used a no. 6 barrel with 1.300" breech diameter. Competed rifle weighs around 12 pounds.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodhunter: Thank you for your post. I completely agree about the CZ 550. They are a fine action of the correct size and respond very nicely to custom gunsmithing.

Roger

Posts: 477 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I'm no gunsmith but wouldn't one of the Ruger RSM actions work? I have one of the first generation RSM's, with the heavy barrel, in 416 Rigby and thought it could be rebored to 450 Rigby.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to confirm, I have a Dakota M76 in 450 Rigby; functions fine but buffalo hate it.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
recall this is the 416 rigby case, which is HUGE/

m70 would be a 1 down 1 up affair, if you could get it to fit, that's the only way it would feed most of the time.

start with a cz550 in 458 win or lott, get the rigby follower and open the bolt face before rechambering

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
I'm no gunsmith but wouldn't one of the Ruger RSM actions work? I have one of the first generation RSM's, with the heavy barrel, in 416 Rigby and thought it could be rebored to 450 Rigby.

Dave did that with, i think the first, 470mbogo

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have built many on the CZ 550 and BRNO ZKK 602 and am doing two currently. The Win 70 does not have enough room and it would be a nightmare to try to get it to work. Best approach with the CZ/BRNO is to start with a 416 Rigby action or donor rifle. The bolt face is correct as is the follower and mag box. It's not difficult if you begin with the right action.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Woodhunter, could you tell me the name of the book in the pictures please?

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote