New
Find
Notify
Tools

KAR 98?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a danzig KAR 98 smallring. it has been nicely done with a new bolthandle and lowswing safety barreled in a light barreled 256 newton. I have to say, it's one of the tightest and smoothest mausers I've ever handled. I know they are not the strongest action out there, but with 6 grns more capacity then a 6.5x55 I should be able to run swede velocities with reasonabe pressure?? Midway lists timney triggers as seperate KAR 98, from other 98's. Is that because of how they sit in the differant style triggerguard bow of the KAR? The trigger in it is a military made singlestaged convert, would prefer a timney if I get the right one. It is really a sweet rifle/caliber combo and I should get it out for some hunting use!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the trigger sets further forward than a standard 98 - so the Timney trigger for the KAR98 is correct. I have one that I had barrelled in 7X57 and it is a smooth action.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellant, thankyou for the reply, just what I was looking for.
Do you keep your loads to a certain pressure range? Any troubles?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't load anything to what you would call hot - I am sure others will chime in on the KAR98 action

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7X57, 257 are both great choices for this action IMO.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
7X57, 257

As is this 256 newton I feel, but anything can be hotrodded to a trouble point, thats why I'm curious to where folks are keeping it to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kar 98's are not the stongest but they are fine for sane loads in a hunting rifle. They are not blow up prone; they are thin in the receiver behind the lugs. Heavy firing will cause a gradual inrease in headspace. I have made a few of these in 8x57, 257Rob, and 30-06.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didnt have any reservations about 30-06 then?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 is not much more than full powered German 8x57. They are a model 98; using standard loads and shooting it sparingly as most hunting rifles are shot and it won't be an issue. I am talking about 10-20 shots per year and it will last a lifetime. If you shoot it too much or use too hot of loads it will wear out in a hurry. The headspace will gradually increase as the thin part of the receiver stretches. It will give plenty of warning.

Also if you have trouble finding the correct aftermarket trigger (Timney doesn't specifically list the Kar 98a) it might be easier to change the bottom metal with a Gew 98 or 98K (WWII)VZ-24 etc.

I built and used a few Kar 98 hunting rifles and I never experienced problems except some of the pre 1918 are soft and coupled with the thin front ring, the scope mount holes tended to wear out.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like if I really like the rifle, come up with a light, shooting load, then a hunting load and I'll be good to go. Many thanks for the help!