New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 500 on a P14
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I obtained some P14 actions, recontoured, rehandled, straight bottom metal etc. with oversize stainless mag boxes (3.750"). Happen to also have a 50BMG blank with 510 groove. So since the P14 needs an oversize blank, I thought I might build myself a 500 Jeff... but the magazine box is actually too long by .250". I have a simlilar rifle, same action and box, in 458 Lott and the 500 Jeff ctgs seem to stack OK in this mag. But they will move forward under recoil in the box .. unless the bullets are seated out. Would I be better off going with a 500 A2? Or blank off the box at the front (action opening is still std 3.530 on the particular action I have in hand)

On this topic, who is the best source for oversized barrels (1.350" shank?) The only one seems to be Lothar Walther.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
pacor or mcgowen for barrels.

all the 50s, in hunting trim, as about the same...

the best, however, IMnsHO, is the 500 AccRel -- if you would like to load it longer, it will work fine.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who had one in 500 A2 and it was awesome. It fed very well. I looked it over closely, especially the way the cartridges fit and stacked in the magazine and everything seemed "right". He really liked it for brown bears. (it's a long story) I shot it with some reduced loads. Hope that helps.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
But they will move forward under recoil in the box .. unless the bullets are seated out.

You can always do such a conversion which Mauser sometimes used to have in their original factory rifles. They just made low vertical crests to the area where cartridges botton touch the magazine side walls. Those crests are, in fact, rails for case bottom groove to block them moving forward under recoil.

Picture attached:

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote