New
Find
Notify
Tools

breech block hole
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do you have experience cutting a breech block hole that you would like to share?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What is a breech block hole?

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 'square', vertical, hole that the breechblock follows on a single shot, falling block rifle. In the upper position, it is behind the cartridge when it is fired. In the lower position it allows the cartridge to be extracted and the rifle reloaded.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would guess that a drill is first used to hog out the majority of metal. Then a broach is employed to cut the "keyways" for the breech block. That's one way.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gwahir:
Do you have experience cutting a breech block hole that you would like to share?

Wire EDM. Will save you a ton of issues down the road. Make it happen. There are plenty of shops out there with EDM.
For that matter, get as much of it wired as possible. The hole, top and side profiles, leaving only a few milling operations.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wire Edm is very accurate and can be done even after the material is hardened. I have used it a lot on production parts. That was in a former life time!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one wire EDM'd. One with a 5 degree angle on the back face.

The guy buggered it up, so I built a jig to guide a file on roller bearings.
Wasn't great for the file but it got the receiver fixed.

Now my brother (who is a custom knifemaker) has shown me commercially-available filing jigs which have thin carbide "wear pads" for the file to register against.

If wire EDM was not an option, the next best would probably be a shaper with file finishing. I have also seen and done broaching with a milling machine (spindle locked, using just the ram). If really pressed, one could even resort to filing after rough drilling. But it's going to be a labor of love doing it that way.

Wire EDM (assuming the operator knows his business) is certainly the fastest and easiest way.

Posts: 496 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a shaper is the next best solution - which kinda stinks that most people have never heard of one, and fewer used one

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Holes are, by definition, round. You might want to cut a slot. I have a few Sharps, and none of them have holes for the breech block. And I was in tanks for many years, all use vertical dropping block breeches, just like a Sharps, none with holes. Maybe holes for the firing pin.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, every child knows that they cannot put a square peg in a round hole. They have to use a square hole!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most gunsmiths and gunmakers would call it a breech block mortise...

Take a look at Ruger # 1's method for a "square hole" for an easier way to skin a cat.

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Holes are, by definition, round.

"I did not know that." (As Walter Sobchak would say Smiler)

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKA "A bad place to be".. HAR!

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote