Find
Notify
Tools

Tom Burgess Eye Candy
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Here's some pics of my formerly rusty & pitted 1909 Peruvian Mauser refurbished by maestro Tom Burgess.
I'll be sending it on to Roger Kehr for extra embellishment:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice, really nice. The bolt handle looks great. The good part is I will get to see this in person as I live close to Roger Big Grin
Whats it going to be built into forrest?

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely gorgeous. I'm sending you a PM.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, it will be an open-sight 7x57 styled like a Continental or English sporter. I haven't heard back from Mr. Burgess yet if he can make bottom metal, otherwise Mr. Blackburn will get that order if he is still making it, otherwise I'll have to alter an 09 Argentine.

ForrestB, your aoudad backstrap is marinating in lemon juice, salsa verde and garlic.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Very pretty Forrest. Let me know how the Aoudad comes out!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's beautiful!

~Ann

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006

No doubt about it, Burgess is one of the best metal finishers out there.

How come you didn't leave it there for him to put the barrel on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that Auodad is eatable it will be the first that I have heard of.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006: I would like to see an end view or end/diagonal view of the front receiver ring to see how Tom ground that profile. Looks like the crest removed to leave a shoulder that lines up with the shoulder of the rear ring. Is that about it? His work never fails to impress and show something both traditional and unique.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, very nice, tell us about you plans, sights, stocks etc.

Oh........as I said at the ranch that day, the way to cook Auodad....wrap a piece of it up in foil with a piece of green Mesquite.....cook for two hrs.......then throw the Auodad out and eat the green Mesquite Smiler....ya know the same way you cook a 6ft Aligator Gar(sp)

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Butch, Billy and ForrestB may know something I don't. Except for the head he didn't want any part of the animal. Notice I am marinating in some pretty strong stuff!

Stocker, these are pics Tom sent me, I don't have the action yet so can't post a frontal view. I had the ring ground round, not oval like some others he has done (the Ottmar/Worthing/Kehr rifle). I will have Roger engrave a Mauser banner on top of the ring to match the Waffenfabrik Oberndorf stamping on the side (Tom also removed the Modelo 1909 inscription).

Billy, I'll probably barrel with open sights & barrel band similar to a Brno 21/22 or Oberndorf sporter, stock like a Type A or maybe Rigby/H&H/Westley, etc. No scope base holes on this one even though my eyes could use help.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
this work is fantastic
i give up....
anyone want to buy a shop?

tell me how the goat tastes...
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That action is gleaming!

I've been looking for pics of a Burgess Mauser bolt treatment for a while. Thanks!

I'd like to see how he styles a bolt for a scoped rifle too...

I hope you will keep us posted on the progress of this project.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Butch, Billy and ForrestB may know something I don't. Except for the head he didn't want any part of the animal. Notice I am marinating in some pretty strong stuff!

You might want to marinate it for a few days is a mixture of olive oil, garlic, onion and kerosene. That will pretty much mask the natural "flavor".

Will you do me a favor and add a quick codicil to your will, if its not too late already? I'd like you to leave that '09 Peruvian to me, just in case the Aoudad filet doesn't agree with you in a serious way.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I just finished a late dinner. Next time someone has aoudad tenderloins or backstraps they don't want, call me. Honest. No gamey taste at all, no fat, exactly like a lean beef steak. Maybe the other cuts aren't as good, or the marinade had something to do with it, but this is good eatin'. Thanks ForrestB! And Harry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Not only do you have good taste in guns........but you can cook........I would buy food if I could cook.

I forgot to ask earlier, what kind of barrel you going to use.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Billy, I don't know yet, probably just something basic like a Douglas Premium or whatever is available, 7x57 most likely. I'll use a banded rear sight base (like Brno 21/22 or early Mannlichers, Oberndorf sporters), one standing/one folding blade, a barrel band sling stud and a European-style ramp front sight of some sort. A ribbed barrel would be nice but expensive.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gringo Cazador: I would buy food if I could cook.

With all those girlfriends, you don't have to buy food or cook! thumb

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
He don't hang around them for their big fryin' pans, Forrest.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,

Consider putting one of Tom Delucchi's peep sights on the stiker. I can show you how to put a small diopter lens in it that will sharpen up your view of the front sight.

Or......encourage Roger to go ahead and start making copies of the Rigby style peep sight.

The Recknagel/Golmatic/NECG version is overpriced by $150.00.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Amazing work! I'm sure this is one you'll enjoy for year's to come. Keep us posted on the progress.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote