Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions on how to save/restore Ackley barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
OK, some of you read a post in small caliber where I was thinking about doing a barreled action swap for my stepson. 25-06 for his 243 so he would end up with a stock I had made like the rest of the guys in the family.

Well I made a LOWBALL offer for what I thought was as MKX 270 barreled action, stock and scope. Anyway ended up winning for less than the market value for the action.

When I got the rifle 2 things jumped out. I knew someone had installed a swivel band on the barrel. Figured if it got in the way I would have it removed and reblued. What I didn't expect was the barrel was not a factory MKX but one installed by Ackley.

So if I try and plug the stock the swivel is about 1" or less in front of the stock.

So even plugging the stock the swivel is close. Trying to remove the tip and moving everything back to cover the hole puts me close to the checkering.

The swivel looks to me like it was installed by someone else. I can't believe Ackley would leave marks in front of the swivel.

So the quick answer would be to remove the swivel and reblue. Until you look at how faint the Ackley name and caliber are cut into the barrel.

I'm afraid by the time the blueing is removed. Any polishing or beading is done the name would all but disappear.

So I'm open for suggestions. Yes if I leave the metal alone I'm probably looking at a new stock.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Easy; have the ack name re-cut/engraved. I have an engraver who can do that. Deeper, then proceed to polish and reblue.
I would definitely NOT alter that stock.

Posts: 17277 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Easy; have the ack name re-cut/engraved. I have an engraver who can do that. Deeper, then proceed to polish and reblue.I would definitely NOT alter that stock

That would be great BUT looks like a new stock is on order. Roll Eyes

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be great BUT looks like a new stock is on order

hey i know this guy that can duplicate one Big Grin hilbily clap

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
hey i know this guy that can duplicate one

I bet I know the same guy. I heard he is behind. Big Grin Duplication is the easy part. Wink Then the real work begins.

If you were going to have the engraving depended and then reblued would you leave the band or remove it as well?

Someone posted this thought over on 24hr

"""From what I've read, the word EMDEKO you can see on the barrel tells the story, seems like P.O. licensed his name to them toward the end of the career.

I don't know who made or installed the barrels, but I don't think they are true Ackleys."""

If that is the case would it be worth worrying about??

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well crap!!

"""Did you know?

In the early 1970’s P.O. Ackley became involved with a company in Salt Lake City known as EMDEKO International.

The company worked a deal with P.O., bought out his barrel business and hired Ackley to overseen the production of barrels for EMDEKO. Under the P.O. Ackley Inc. name EMDEKO produced over 5000 hunting rifles. Calibers were mostly 25-06, 270, and 30-06 although others were made.

The details of these rifles are not very inspiring. They were made on Interarms Mark X actions. Barrels were Ackley five groove button rifled made in the EMDEKO facility. None of these guns had iron sights. Scopes and scope mounts were an optional item. The wood was good straight grain plain walnut, reportedly from Bishop, in a Monte Carlo style. Finished with a gloss finish, a plastic grip cap and a recoil pad, and no contrasting forend tip. Quality wise, these are decent hunting rifles much like a standard Interarms Mark X rifle. The only thing extra they had to offer was the Ackley name and barrel."""""

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Leave it on. I mean the band.
It's still his name, and that means something to us old guys; young guys will have no clue..... I would preserve it; that is not hard nor expensive to do.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
us old guys

shocker rotflmo coffee

If you don't mind ask your engraver about it or give me his contact info.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Her.
I will call her; she is in LeClaire. Right next to American Pickers and Les Bauer.
Those markings were pantographed on, and she can deepen them with no problem.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Her.
I will call her; she is in LeClaire. Right next to American Pickers and Les Bauer.
Those markings were pantographed on, and she can deepen them with no problem.

Just sayin.
I have seen a few of those Ackley guns of that vintage and the lettering on them was not cut with a pantograph. The ones I saw were acid etched dpcd.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel looks like it is not pitted or has active rust. Why not just degrease and Rustblue right over the existing bluing. It will all blend and look like you started from scratch. The original stamping/engraving will be preserved. American Formula would do well. You could take the stock screw and grind it down to a screw head shape and slot it. Blue it and screw it in flush.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, etched; point is, it was not hand engraved to start with.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ok, etched; point is, it was not hand engraved to start with.

Well, I don't know-bout-dat. With a pantograph you have to move your hand in the outline of the letters. Kinda. In a way. Sorta.

OK I'll shut up now. he he he

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You are probably correct as to the etching. You can barely feel the letter with your finger nail.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have an engraver and whilst, yes, your hands do move, both of them simultaneously, it is not "hand" engraving. Because your brain is not guiding the cutter. It operates without brains of any type. Which is why I am an expert at it.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hey how about you send it off to get the etching deepened and just don't have her engrave the EMDEKO part.

There ya go, 2 birds with one stone! 3 if you remove the barrel band and then you can use the intended stock too- win win win! Smiler

(just joking about the emdeko part but if the barrel band was installed after the fact you do already have a professionally mounted swivel stud on the stock)

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Mark, what is sad is I bet it has been done. Frowner

Professional??? shocker rotflmo That stock was the second stock I ever built. Around 1976 or so. It had a flaw in the butt. I fixed it with sawdust and epoxy and was never really happy with it. I used it for about 24 years with a 22-250 in it. No checkering so so finish. Then I got around to reshaping it a touch checkering and better finish. With Chic's help I used a piece of the butt (installed a pad to free up wood) to repair it. Then stuck a 25-06 in it and used it for a backup at the lease in TX.

The stepson loves it flaw and all so one way or the other it will end up with him.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you can chem strip the barrel - coke actually works, and light polish before bluing

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
coke actually works

Yep learned that one the hard way. Vinegar just about anything acidic. Trick is to remove the blue and not cloud the steel.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K