New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust Removal on Stainless bbl?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm seriously looking at at Remington 700 ADL in 280. I did notice that there appeared to be a very slight brownish cast to parts of the bbl and reciever, which I assumed to be rust. Does anyone have experience removing this discoloration? The finish isn't very smooth.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, glass bead blast will make it like new if there is no pitting. If it is just a brown hue it may be build up of oil or dirt. Good way to get a deal on a "rusty" gun.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just take some WD-40 and stainless stell fur and rub it off. Make sure you use stainless steel wool however, because if you use steel it ill embed minute particles into the stainless and then it will rust.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is a light rust, or maybe it is some kind of dried lubricant or wax that the previous owner applied.

But, even Stainless will rust if used in all kinds of weather. I've seen some that cleaned up real well with regular old "Scotch Bright Pads"(Synthetic Scrubbers). You can get 10-12 at a Dollar Store for $1.

I agree with Butch that Stainless Steel Pads have the potential to leave minute pieces behind which would rust fairly quickly.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Going to check the gun values and then see if I can make a deal. Lots of aftermarket parts available, and I might need a backup for my Wyoming trip this fall.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote