New
Find
Notify
Tools

M98 barrel fit Q ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a chambered ,screw cut new barrel [30-06]and when i screw the barrel in, its a loose fit ,i havent taken it to a gunsmith yet ,i was just curious how a gunsmith makes it a 'Tight fit '' into the action ?

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How loose? I'd rather have a "little loose" than "binding tight".

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Tankhunter, if you true the torque shoulder of the receiver with the bolt tunnel, but the receivers threads are a little off, then a little bit of a relaxed fit (loose), between the threads will allow the barrel shoulder and the receiver to move into alignment a little better, which will reduce any "off axis" stress on the joint which helps accuracy. If that makes sense.

When you can true the entire action, including the threads, then I personally like a lapped, non-binding fit between the barrel and the receiver. There is nothing quite like a precise fit of precision components... Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loose is o/k as long as it's not so loose it will pull out, which I doubt. If there's any question let a gunsmith look at it.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can screw it on easily by hand, and it wobbles like a blonde on baywatch ,will get a gunsmith to look at it anyway ,i just wondered what method was used to make it fit tight and firm ,as other barrels i have taken off other rifles were a very tight fit

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
i just wondered what method was used to make it fit tight and firm

Individually threading each barrel for a particular receiver would be the method of choice in this shop. But, getting a good fit with a mass produced, pre-threaded barrel, it's a crap shoot. They are either loose or tight. If the looseness is as bad as you say, and your gunsmith concurs, and there is enough barrel material to allow it, you can have the gunsmith remove the threaded tennon and re-do it for your particular receiver. I think however that if you have a minimum of 75 percent engagement with a pre-threaded barrel, you are going to be okay.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
WOW, if it's all the way back, loose and wobblly, i would have some VERY large concerns.. i assume you mean you have hand turned the barrel all the way into the receiver?

my first guess, if you have it turn in as far as it will go, and it wobbles would be that this won't be a question of which place to torque off, as it should like the thread major dia is too small. you may have a small ring barrel on your hands (.980 major dia)

do you have some capliers? take the barrel out, and measure the diameter of the threaded portion... the number you are looking for is 1.1"

but take it to a gun smith, and and see.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38470 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
WOW, if it's all the way back, loose and wobblly, i would have some VERY large concerns.. i assume you mean you have hand turned the barrel all the way into the receiver?

my first guess, if you have it turn in as far as it will go, and it wobbles would be that this won't be a question of which place to torque off, as it should like the thread major dia is too small. you may have a small ring barrel on your hands (.980 major dia)

do you have some capliers? take the barrel out, and measure the diameter of the threaded portion... the number you are looking for is 1.1"

but take it to a gun smith, and and see.

WOW indeed. You might want to re-think this a little further Jeffe. A large ring Mauser's minor thread diameter is larger than a small ring Mauser's major thread diameter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the gunsmith or machinist says the threads are correct when measures in diameter & the old 3 pitch wire test, then you might start to wonder about your action threads. Did you take the old barrel out? was it a snug fit? You should be able to hand screw the action all the way up to the shoulder. I cut the threads for each individual action. That said, I've installed some pre-threaded barrels & they all fit fine. There isn't really a lot of tendency for the barrel to "leave" the action, but you must be able to torque it up pretty tight. Are you sure the barrel is right for your action? Your (vivid) description Smiler of the fit indicates a lot of slop.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The action is an FN military action in 30-06 ,it was a very tight barrel to remove ,which was history ,as previous owner was one of those people who believe guns should not be cleaned after use .The barrel is right for this action, it is loose all the way until its up against the receiver .I thought maybe loctite might do it, but their really is too much looseness in the threads,i will let the g smith deal with it

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
The action is an FN military action in 30-06 ,it was a very tight barrel to remove ,which was history ,as previous owner was one of those people who believe guns should not be cleaned after use .The barrel is right for this action, it is loose all the way until its up against the receiver .I thought maybe loctite might do it, but their really is too much looseness in the threads,i will let the g smith deal with it

Do yourself and the next gunsmith who has to deal with that barrel a favor and leave the Loc-Tite off the threads. You would be better off wrapping the threads with .030 lead wire, or a coat hanger for that matter, than using Loc-Tite. Big Grin