New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber of Oregon Ejector
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a Kimber of Oregon .223. Ejection is not very strong. Is there any way to adjust the ejector?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The simple answer is no. There isn't a plunger on the bolt to assist with case ejection. The M84 has a Mauser like ejector, so the speed at which the bolt is retracted determines the energy used to kick the fired case out of the action. If you're used to a plunger, it may seem inadequate I've been a KoO owner since the early 80's and I never had a problem on the range or in the field.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, John. I knew it had a fixed ejector, but thought maybe there was some way to tweak it to be a little more positive.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
With Mauser type or fixed ejectors, the grip of the extractor on the case head also plays a part in the how strong the ejection will be.
My Mauser has had the bolt face opened up for the 404 cartridge which is held strongly on the bolt face by the extractor claw and where even with a lazy bolt retraction, an extracted unfired cartridge is ejected positively and empty cases strongly ejected.

With the bolt out of the rifle an unfired cartridge is held solidly in the horizontal position against the bolt face.

Check your Kimber extractor.

Posts: 3861 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you have identified the problem. A cartridge is held very loosely by the extractor with the bolt out of the rifle.
How does one tighten up the extractor without messing it up?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
I think you have identified the problem. A cartridge is held very loosely by the extractor with the bolt out of the rifle.
How does one tighten up the extractor without messing it up?

I've seen the foot of the extractor just under the blade massaged so it causes the blade of the extractor move ever-so-slightly inward to grab the rim better.

But i ain't recommending that specifically because i didn't do it personally..