THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What do you think about this idea for 06 anniversary

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think about this idea for 06 anniversary
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, just because we all love a good fantasy, what do you think about this for a good, simple anniversary tribute to the 06? -

I have a nice springfield in 06, chrome moly range I think, that is at my gunsmiths due to a muzzle brake problem (problem being that it has one Big Grin ). The rifle shoots real good though.

I was thinking
1. cut barrel to 22"
2. make hinged floorplate with release button
3. mod 70 style safety install
4. QR bases and rings, or a setup that can be taken off in the field without too much trouble (on the very off chance something happens, or for the occasions when I like to carry a rifle sans scope)
5. new bolt handle (it is sporterized, but midget handle)
6. install classic front sight bead with J. Wisner reproduction Win. safari sight rear.

Have the whole thing hot blued, have gold inlay of 30-06 Springfield on the barrel and VOILA! The stock design I like the feel of, but the wood is ugly and somebody went with stippling instead of checkering, I could have it duplicated onto a better blank and would have qutie the 100 year tribute.

Thoughts on this? your own ideas?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I'd say you're on the right track.

Add the following caveat:

7. Finish before the close of 2006.

Wink

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
hey red

i'm salivating. that sounds like one sweet project. if you can get ahold of one of roy dunlaps gunsmithinhg books he has the diagrams for the floor plate.

i only have 1 03 in my inventory. it's a 35 whelen though. i left the original barrel band front sight on it and have qd weaver mounts. then if things go to hell in a handbasket i have an ashley express sight i can put on it attatched to the rear mount. i built it for my daughter for bear hunting in alaska. i figured if she had to go into the alders after a bear the express sight would serve her better. i'm not a scope fan for really up close and personal shooting.

i agree on muzzle brakes. although i put one on the whelen, the only time she used it was load development on the bench. she didn't use it for hunting. she got a 8'6" squared brown bear with it. that girl has more testosterone than some men i know.

keep us posted on your project, that will be a beaut when you get her finished. i like your ideas. very fitting.

good luck

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sounds like a great idea...

here might be a hint or 2

IIRC, the springfield the enfield have the same bolt shroud threads (acme) and you might could get the same guy that makes enfield safeties to make you one

the floor plate would be fairly easy... get a nice mauser one and refit (seriously)

sights... NRA sportster!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago I like the way you think. I should be taking possession of my 06 tribute very soon. I will can it that even though I started it long ago.

- Springfield Armory Double Heat Treated Action
- Shillen 24" barrel
- Dayton Trigger
- Ed Lapour 3-Pos Safety retaining the cocking knob
- Hinged Floor plate fitted to modified Military Milled Bottom Metal
- Custom Bases fitted to Talley Rings
- McFarland 4 pannel bolt knob with engraving by Scrollcutter
- Jewelled bolt
- Set in a nice piece of English Walnut

Before and after shots of the bottom metal.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, 30-06 naturally.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!!!

Of course I would keep the cocking knob, that shouts springfield for me. I forgot I would also have the mag cutoff reshaped for cosmetic and inletting/shaping purposes.

Jeff, what is the NRA sporter sight?

I already have a small chunk of money set aside, but have so many things that have to get out of the way I am trying to work it out now. I am going to get rid of another rifle and some parts, maybe even a project and that should give me enough to get it done. It of course would have to be done in 06!!

Red

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing fancy but a nice rifle. This is a Shelhamer 1903 with a 20†barrel and short forend that looks right on the short barrel. This rifle was a NRA sporter before the barrel was cut. Good idea and if I were building such a rifle I would go with the 22 over 20 inch barrel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/mjpetrov/20s4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/mjpetrov/20s3.jpg

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking rifle. I think I'll go with the barrel mounted rear sight on mine, the sight on those means the scope has to be up too high. I want mine to be unobtrusive, something simple for the off chance instances.

They did a good job with the forend, it doesn't look like a rifle that just got the barrel chopped, it is well proportioned.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just at the local gun shop and some lady brought in some rifles that she wanted out of the house. I was Eye Balling a springfield sporter she brought in. I'll go back tomarrow and check it out.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:
Nothing fancy but a nice rifle. This is a Shelhamer 1903 with a 20†barrel and short forend that looks right on the short barrel. This rifle was a NRA sporter before the barrel was cut. Good idea and if I were building such a rifle I would go with the 22 over 20 inch barrel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/mjpetrov/20s4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/mjpetrov/20s3.jpg

Hi Michael,
Nice looking rifle. Did you finally find one, or is that not yours?

Did you get the pics of the Shellhammer Sako I sent?

I was talking to a friend of yours from Springfield MO, he said you robbed him of the Hoffman arms catalog on e-bay, congratulations. LOL

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I already have my 03. As I have detailed here before it's a highly modified Remington. Barrel cut to 16",Handle nicely lowered, 3 pos Win safety,HIGH Redfield Sourdough in original banded ramp that has been reattached. Lyman Alaskan in Griffin & Howe quick release side mount. Stock is original military straight grip that has been cut to match barrel along with upper handguard and front bayonet lug band reinstalled. Timney trigger. The stock has a 1" compass in left cheekpiece. Built/modified by Les Womack for a gunwriter as an Alaskan trail gun. What I would like to do to finish it off is to get new laminated stock and handguard for it. Does anyone know of anyone who makes or would make such a stock and handguard. Boyds has original military but don't think the offer in anything but standard walnut.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:

Barrel cut to 16"

You must get a bodacious muzzle blast with a barrel that short!

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
[Hi Michael,Nice looking rifle. Did you finally find one, or is that not yours?

Did you get the pics of the Shellhammer Sako I sent?

I was talking to a friend of yours from Springfield MO, he said you robbed him of the Hoffman arms catalog on e-bay, congratulations. LOL

John

Hello John,

I just found this one, I would not have gone looking for a 20†barreled 06 but this kind of fell on me.

Yes, I have the Shelhamer-Sako photos, thanks.

Of all the Hoffman catalogs that I have this was the only one I did not have an original of so tell him it went to a good home and if he asks his friend in Montana to make a copy for him or write me for a copy.

MP

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
LE270-- Only if you wear a hat. It really is pretty noisy but I suppose if it was a Grizzley after your Salmon the noise should help if not it should notify anyone in the area where to pick up the body. I all fact though with muffs it's not too bad. Really accurate with some old 150gr Frontier ammo I had. Very Handy gun.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote