Find
Notify
Tools

What Stock Oil To Use?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I want a matt finish what oil should I use?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Danish oil finish

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Try Teak oil. Makes a very nice soft durable finish.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Velvit Oil

Jerry Fisher swears by this product. That's high praise.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Velvit Oil, Mike Kokolus told me about it, Mike turns my stocks. I't real good, so is pro custom oil or whatever its called.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
pro custom gun oil works pretty good...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had really good results with Sutherland-Wells tung oil sealer and tung oil marine spar varnish. Their sealer penetrates REALLY deep into the wood.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daly's BenMatte tung oil (polymer mofified)

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my best luck has been to use deft (brand name) danish oil for the first 2 coats to fill the pores, then use a dull tung oil for the next 5 or 6

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that pro custom oil just a surface finish/poly???? I've used the aerosol, tough but chippy and doesn't penetrate very well. might be good for a top coat over a penetrating oil though...

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jay,
the oil (not spray) is a great way to prep the wood, 2 coats 50/50 with spirits.. .then at least 2 straight gloss oil

it's an accelerated tung oil, with poly (most are)

and if you want satin, hit it with the spray after

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe-
Sounds great--I've been using thinned Permalyn sealer with mixed results. Would take checkering better too.

Jay Kolbe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, let me say I am not all that experienced with stock finishing (4 so far) Based on info I got from this sight, I did my walnut stock with the Watco's Teak Oil. Made for a darker satin finish that is great. Took some time and its got to be an easy process, I live in an apartment. Not sure how it will take to Checkering, am saving up the dollars for that (taking second place to taking the granddaughter to Disney World).

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I wish I could stick with one long enough to become good with it. Sorta like telling myself every year I need to walk less and glass more when hunting, never happens.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Probably not required...but I had fun with a mix... 1 part satin Varathane varnish (hard to find in the stores), one part Formby's Tung oil (this is also a varnish mix already) and one part Watco Danish oil. This mix fills fast because of the varnish. Needs to be rubbed out.

Rich

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great input! Do I fill the pores with walnut filler before oil or oil sand with 600 grt?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote