Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conversion to 338 A-Square?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Pre-64 model 70 chambered for a wildcast based on a 300 Win Mag necked up to 338 that I would like to take to Africa in the future but have concerns about the rifle being marked 338 while the case head is stamped 300.

Does anyone know if the 338 A-Square (not the 338-06 A-Square) is large enough so that I could have my rifle rechambered for it? Also, are reamers available to the "trade" or is A-Square the only company that can do this for me and any ideas as to what it might cost?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 4 | Location: Salt Lake County | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The 338-06 A Square is the basic 338-06. There is no problem getting a reamer or die. OOPS I MUST HAVE BEEN ASLEEP. Never mind

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im no smith but if your wildat is based on the 300 win you aught to be able to rechamber to .338 win mag. The shouldre on the 300 win is forward but it seems to me a simple fire forming, with .338 brass might work. tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Rechamber to .340 WBY.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well if you like your wildcat and the only issue is hunting in Africa. I would check the the country you are going to and see if the barrel and headstamp is an issue. In many countries it isn't an issue. In others allthat is required is the Box of Ammo match the Barrel. So many just make up a Label for their ammo box. I would check on the Hunting Africa Forum.

I don't think Saeed ever hunts with a rifle and brass that matches. LOL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Utah,

The .338 A-Square was designed from the .378 Weatherby case, basically a belted .416 Rigby cartridge. I would not recommend it for the M70.

How about keeping the rifle the same, and modifying the case head markings? An engraver should work.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
378 based probably will be 2 down, and not feed so hot.

set it back and rechamber for 338 or 340

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Isn't there someone like quality cartridge that will make any headstamp you want? It might be more cost effective to have it set back to 338wm though. Wink

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could try re-chamber to .330 Dakota, the slight differnece in the head size should pose no problem as my own model 70 was changed from .338 Win to .330 Dakota and works just fine, dependant on manufacturing tolerances on the bolt face of your own model 70 will dictate whether the .404 head size of the Dakota round will fit without a slight opening up of the bolt face.

The larger A2 cases do require a much larger bolt face and significant action mods to the feed rails and magazine box length and the extra work and cost may well not prove worth while.

You would need to compare a loaded .330 Dakota against your existing .300/338 to establish if your existing chamber will clean up with a .330 Reamer, i know it does on a .338 Win chamber as this is the route I opted for.

As an alternative you could consider the .338 Lapua although again this will entail opening of the bolt face and action rails, it can and has been done but will inevitably cost more than the .330 Dakota route

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new rifle to me. keep your wildcat if it has served you well and find a new toy.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who responded. I wasn't sure what the 338 A-Square was based on and I certainly don't want such an overbore as the Lapula or something based upon the 378 cartridge.

I have considered the 340 Weatherby and may ultimately go this route, but will need to investigate cost. Dropping back the to 338 mag is another option, but would require rechambering and shortening the barrel so this would certainly be a more expensive option than a "simple" rechambering.

Posts: 4 | Location: Salt Lake County | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Utah,

You could also shop for a Winchester take-off barrel in .338 WM.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote