New
Find
Notify
Tools

338/06
 Login/Join

<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Hello: I'm considering having a 338/06 or 338/06AI built for me. I have never had a rifle built for me and I have a question or to. First, what kind of action do I need for this caliber of rifle. Example, would a Winchester Model 70, Remington 700, Ruger, etc. of 30 caliber work? Then have a barrel built in the proper caliber and fit to the action. Maybe buy a nice stock, scope, etc..
Is there one action superior to another. I have a couple Model 70, Win. but are there other brands that are built well and not so expensive? Any advice on this subject will be appreciated. Thank You, Jim Lawrence

------------------

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Any action that will handle the 30-06 will work with the 338-06. My suggestion is if you have several Mod 70s already and like them then stick with what you know. You might save a few bucks with another action but in the overall cost of things it wouldn't be much.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Model 70's are great, but if I was to build one, I would use a Ruger #1, and have it chambered for the .338 Gibbs, or perhaps the .338-06 JDJ. In a single shot, the short neck is no disadvantage, and either of these cartridges should be able to equal the .338 Win. Mag., if you use a 26 in. barrel. (Also no problem with the single-shot.)

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
If he wanted .338 Win. ballistics, he'd be building a .338 Win. Therefore the "advantages" of the #1 are moot.

Jim,
Listen to ramrod.

Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Visit a well-stocked gun store and shoulder and operate .30-06s of different manufacture and configuration.

The one that feels best to you in the shop will probably be a good basis for your .338-06.

Winchester, Remington, Savage, et al., all make good firearms. You're only concerned with the action, and possibly stock design.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Jim, I built one last year on a model 70 action I had in 270. I mailed it to the barrel maker with instructions (Most will help you with a phone call) The rebarreled action came back to my house.I bought a stock, had my Smith install a new Ti. firing pin,with some help here I did a glassbed. My smallest group is 3/8" but on avg. I'm under an inch with the loads I've worked on so far. I have data if you want it on a spread sheet.Good luck

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the 338-06 for several years but finally decided it had not one advantage over the 338 Win so I went that route and have been more satisfied..It was a good change. It will do the same and a whole lot more..I can load down to 338-06 vel. if need be...Recoil is the same, regardless of what I was told.

Wildcats are a disadvantage in the remote outpost where I hunt if one gets seperated from his ammo and 338's are available just about any place...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 338\06 on a 98 ok but they just don't have the case cap. to handle the bullets you want out of a 338. if your going lighter then 225 use a 30 cal. heaver go with a 338 win mag. /But if you need one why not. The reason of all these cal.s is so we can own more guns.

Posts: 19399 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Weatherby chamber this round and sell ammunition for it?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<WyomingSwede>
posted
Weatherby does chamber this round in their new ultra lightweight rifle. They also sell ammo. I have built my 338-06 of a mauser action. I have used it for a number of years and would like to point out four facts.
1) round really performs with 250 gr bullets.
2) gives magnum performance in an -06 size action.
3) You dont have to have the stock surgically removed from your shoulder every time you fire it.
4) Unless you handload or know someone that does...ammo is tough to find. Perhaps with the weatherby deal Federal will chamber for it??? JMHO Swede

------------------
WyomingSwede

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
How could the 250-gr. bullet NOT perform in the '06 case? All the .338/06 does is give .318 Westley Richards ballistics with readily available components and the .318 has a sterling reputation on heavy game. Throw a 250 gr. round nose at 2400 fps and you can nail anything below elephant, rhino and the big wild cattle. Plenty of power, unless you absolutely insist on trying to shoot elk at 400 yards.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Jim,

My first custom rifle will be .338/06AI. Looking for the action now. '09 Argentine.

Can't imagine a more effective cartridge for elk in the thick stuff.

I'm going to try to hold the weight to about 71/2lbs. A friend already gave me a box of 210gr Nosler Partitions.

------------------
To be old and wise.....first you have to be young and stupid!

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Check this months NRA Mag. American Hunter it has a very good article on the 338-06. Although I think a good 250gr bullet is the way to go for Elk.

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
ROB1SG,
I agree 100% but I have to try the 210s also.

------------------
To be old and wise.....first you have to be young and stupid!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not underestimate the capability of the.338 210 gr Partition. I have taken a couple of nice bull elk and a big old bull Nilgai with it in my 338-06 at 2800 fps. Complete penetration on all three animals. The bullet seems to perform out of proportion to its weight. Mine's a Rem 700 rebore that goes 7# scoped and is a dream to hunt with and just plain fun to load for and shoot.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OLDsarge
JLD still has excellent 1909 available for $150 with matching numbers.

http://www.jldenter.com/JLD%20Accessories%20page.htm

Good Hunting
Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pardon me for being pragmatic but wouldn't it make more sense to simply chamber to .338 Win Mag and not load it to the max.....same length action etc with the plus being commercial ammo readily available. Why push a smaller case? Not meant to be a slam or dig but....?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
DB Bill-

Two reasons come to mind...

First, you may have a 30-06 bolt face action just waiting to be built, & don't want the hassles of opening up a bolt face to magnum specs.

Second, some people, (me included), just don't care for a belted case.

Besides, anyone can buy a 338 WM at Wal-Mart! (OK, that's three reasons...)

[This message has been edited by Gary Rihn (edited 08-27-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary...plus reason #4 is "I want one".

one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that DB Bill came up with the only logical answer...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I've had mine at the range several times and usally someone will ask what I'm shooting. When I tell them they say OH a custom gun. HA!HA!HA yea if you consider $320 the price of a custom gun then I have one.This rifle does exactly what I want it to do out to 300 yds, put a larger dia. bullet with greater momentum into the vitals of a game animal.

<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
Gary...plus reason #4 is "I want one".

Works for me!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Same reason I am having a 308 rebarrelled to 250 Savage AI instead of buying a 257 Roberts or 25-06. For me, it's the desire to have something that the majority doesn't. Good reason? Yep. Practical? Nope.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If we were "practical" we would all be shooting .30-06's and it would be a very boring world.

Personally I like the .338-06 and feel its a viable chambering, even though the .338 Win Mag allows a few hundred extra feet per second. I view it the same as when I had .25-06's and a .257 Wby, then got an old M70 featherweight in .257 Roberts. I started shooting the Roberts and found that for 99% of the shooting and hunting I did it was; easier on the ears and the shoulder, killed just as well and was just all a guy needed. Sometimes "less is more". IMHO same thing with the .338-06.

Frank N.

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention.......Anyone want to hazard a guess why the 210 partitions seem to kill so well? Ray has related this as well as several others whose opinion one can trust. Is it the extra velocity over a 250 grain slug? Just wondering. My experience with the .33's is limited with just a half dozen kills with the 250's at 2440 fps. I am mostly interested in .338 Win mag or .338-06 velocities, not Ultra Mag/Wby velocities as I'd never own one anyway.

Frank N.

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<RAO>
posted
Oldsarge; .338/06 is about ideal cartridge for american hunting. Nosler partition 210gr is excellent for deer,and with 250gr it becomes elk/moose cartridge.For africa,use 250gr,which duplicates .318 Westly Richards,which has grand reputation on plains game.For action, go for Win.Mod.70,Ruger or Sako.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What worked for me: 9.3x62, dates from 1905, still very much alive. Hope I will look as good when I�m that age!

O, yes and CZ 550 action: CRF, three lugs, 3 position safety and a wonderful adjustable trigger. Although there are people there, who just use the set trigger. The choice is Yours.

Have fun! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Frank,
As you know, I am a fan of the 210grNP in my .338-06 @ 2750fps, it kills very well! I'm not sure why, maybe good initial expansion up front w/ high momentum & retained weight. Afet all, we are looking @ a bullet w/ the same SD as the vaunted 130gr .270 but w/ 61% more weight & 21% greater frontal area on impact. I think the 250grs the way to go for the larger cap. mags, but I've had great luck w/ the 210grNP.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
I built a 338-06AI 40deg. on a like new 1909 argentine. I'm getting an honest 2925fps/200 gr balistic tip for 3700+fpe with no pressure signs and a 23 inch barrel. I love the Argentine action. It has to have the best looking bottom metal on a military action.

This cartridge has to be one of the most balanced and effecient for big game, and it's a pleasure to shoot and carry. For the way I hunt, it has all the range I'll ever need. I don't mind recoil and I like big bores but I'll never own an overbore chambered rifle again. Like I always say, If you can't get within 300yds, don't shoot.

-Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Tutts>
posted
I also have a 338-06 AI built on a 98 Mauser action, and love the gun. I have found that the Barnes X bullets shoot under an inch from the gun. I own several wildcats, and for me, the beauty of them is that not everyone else has one. All my custom guns are built on old Mauser actions, which are very strong. Its the way to go if you can find one in good shape.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The 338-06 rules! I've been building custom bolt guns for the past 28 years & I can tell you all that our beloved 338-06 has been coming on stronger every year for about the last 5 years. It's simply killing the 35 Whelen! Any of you smiths out there who don't already have the reamers get um now & be ahead of the curve! We all owe a big thanks to Weatherby for legitimizing this fine round. Any bets on how long it will take winchester or Remington to come out with
the 338-06? Maybe the Remington 700 classic for 2002 hmmm? that would be a real treat!

Shoot more & Shoot more often!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 11-03-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearclaw- that is one Classic I would love to see! Any word what the Classic will be this year?

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

by the way I love my 338/06!!!

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Jim Lawrence>
posted
Bearclaw: Good day! I beleive I started this post and have received a ton of response. It seems that the 338-06 is a very popular rifle. That's good as I'm going to build (have buit) my oldest son a rifle in this caliber for his elk rifle. I want the rifle to be completely custom but I do have limits financialy.
You mentioned that you have been building these rifles for quite some time. Do you build to sell? I'm looking at buying a good mauser and having the rifle built from that. A new "old" mauser is my preference.
My requirements are pretty simple. My son is 5'5" tall and is built like a rock. A fitted stock is needed. An excellant mauser action, 26" barrel, and a Nikon or equivelant scope. And, an action that works every time!!! Bolt.
I do want a wood stock, laminated is fine. I'm from Oregon so I like the Pac-Nor barrel.
One hole groups at 100 yards if the shooter is up to it I'm really more practical than that So, if you build these rifles and are interested just let me know. If you want me to buy the action I'll need some tips. But, I'm more than willing to try. To be truthful I'm not sure on the action to go on. The Model 70 or the good Mausers. This project won't happen until spring for financial reasons. I have several house loads of children, step children and foster children. I'm grandpa to all of them and they come first!!! That's fine of course as I figure that God gave them to me. They're great!!!!
That's all for now. If time permits drop me a line. Gaurd your back and stay off superman's cape. Don't spit into the wind and leave the mask on batman. Jim from the rain forests of Oregon. Thanks!!!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Jim first let me say that I love Paul Mauser's 1898 action; but it in my
experience the magazine is a we bit too short. Yes I can lengthen it a bit thats not a problem, it just increases the cost. the bolt has to be altered, then drill & tap
the action, change the safety etc. I find that a fellow is better off just buying a used Remington BDL or Winchester M70 then just rebarrel the thing. Then latter as finances allow change the stock to one of your choosing. Either way you go I recomend that the Action be squared & the lugs be lapped, scope rings laped etc. I will be glade to do the work for you either way you choose to go.

Shoot more and shoot more often

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 11-04-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote