Find
Notify
Tools

Which crossbolt method?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
I am building a 458 Win Mag on a tang safety Ruger 77. I have found that most M77's will spilt the stock
just in front of the trigger and eventually behind the rear action bolt. I have clearanced the rear stock bolt
so there is a little room between it and the stock on the rear side. Now I want to add two stock reenforcing
cross bolts, one behind the magazine and one behind the front action screw. I have see two styles of crossbolts.
One is a brass rod with circular cuts along its length, sort of like a screw with zero pitch threads. A small hole is pre-drilled across the stock and then the crossbolt is inserted along with some Acraglas, then the excess
bolt is trimmed off. Remington used this type on the M600. The other is basically a special bolt and nut and has been in use for 100 years. Which is stonger or more suited to the factory Ruger 77 stock? Are there any other ways to reinforce the stock against splitting? Yes, I have correctly bedded the front recoil lug and the tang area of the receiver.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
either one--that part's just for looks
you've got the style right, but not the practicality ... there two functional methods are

1: front action recoil lug mounts to crossbolt (mauser - model 70)

2: front cross colt does NOT directly interact with the action and is there only to prevent the action from accordining

with the ruger, you will have to do the latter

countersink with a 1/2" drill, then set and bed either UNDER the surface.. backfill with ebony, little 5 min epoxy and you are done.

But this aint where they are weak...

these stocks are DRY and "crispy" chippy... you must run a rod down the wrist (wrist pin) and bed it in...

remember to NOT have the rear tang VERTICAL sides touching the stock (relieved)

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso,

Thanks for the info. I had not considered the
wrist reinforcement. As for the tang, already
did that.

Of all the forums I visit, this one is where I get
good and timely answers. Thanks.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Scovill/Atkinson Ruger 338WM (wood/blue) converted to 375H&H which was in the magazine article and now owned by Phil Shoemaker, only lasted a dozen shots in the factory wood stock. It was then put into a synthetic stock.

As suggested, you will need all the reinforcement you can get as well as ensuring action bolts have clearance, etc.

Good Luck,
Gary