Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a smith to rework Siamese boltface
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Howdy folks,

I am in need of a smith and there are none in my area that are competant. I have a Siamese mauser whose bolt face was improperly modified for the 45-70 rim. It appears to have been milled and is way oversize. It will need to be tig welded and machined properly.

I am in no hurry and can be without for a year if necessary. I know how backed up most of you are. I live in south Texas.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
drewhenry Before you go and spend a bunch of money maybe you should check to see if your boltface was opened up for the 348 Win case. The 348 case is larger than the 45-70 but fits the Siamese magazine and is the basis of some powerful rounds in 375,416 and 458 cal all on an improved 348 case.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know any smiths, but my Dad has one of the Siamese mausers Navy Arms built years ago. I feeds and functions very well you if you need any measurements or pictures and don't mind waiting until I can get to his place to measure or take pictures just PM me.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it is time for a chamber casting. A 348 rim fits perfectly, but the barrel is marked 45-70. What kind of wildcats are 458 cal and built on a 348 case? Wasn't the 348 the original case used to develop the 475 and 500 Linebaugh?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Andy,

If you’re concerned that the 348 Winchester rim fit the bolt face I wouldn’t be.

The CIP/SAAMI maximum rim diameter specification for the 348 Winchester is .6098” vis-à-vis .6079” for the 45-70 Govt; this is only a .0019” difference between the two cartridges.

I had communication earlier this year with Trinidad State Junior College’s NRA Gunsmithing School regarding the normal dimensional variance between a M98 Mauser bolt face and the relating cartridge. I was informed that the normal variance for the bolt face counterbore is .004”-.006” larger than the CIP/SAAMI maximum specification for the cartridge rim diameter. Your Siamese Mauser is a variant of the M98 Mauser action so this information is applicable.

Now if the 348 Winchester brass chambers in your rifle you’d better do a chamber casting before firing it as the base of the 348 Winchester is substantially larger than the 45-70 Govt.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
450 alaskan, andy

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I spoke too soon as to the fit of the 348 rim. I just measured one and see the virtually non existant difference. The extractor however will need to be reground if it will be used on the 348 case. At least thats how it appears to me. It is probably just a sloppy job of machining the bolt face.

So I am back to square one....I think I have a sloppily cut bolt face. I have seen a few other Siamese conversions and the bolt face has a lot more metal around the rim. The only way I know to rectify this is to tig weld and remachine. I don't have the equipment to do either. What now?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
So I am back to square one....I think I have a sloppily cut bolt face. I have seen a few other Siamese conversions and the bolt face has a lot more metal around the rim. The only way I know to rectify this is to tig weld and remachine. I don't have the equipment to do either. What now?

Andy

Start writing checks; its time to hire it done.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Can you do this work? If so, please send me your price and shipping information. If not, I don't need smart-ass remarks.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find another bolt body and have it done properly.

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote