Find
Notify
Tools

Bubba's Savage 99
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
I thought you guys would like this Model 99 that's coming up for bid at an auction. I wonder what Bubba was thinking.

https://www.proxibid.com/Savag...Information/50263830

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just looks like someone customized it to meet his needs, no different than many other things we do to rifles. I've seen a lot worse desecrations done to guns.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, those see through mounts have to go!
The stock? sand it or paint it, or just use it as is.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I see the high bid is now $30.

I'd go $35.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
That'll buff out....

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poor mans camo.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
actually, i need one of these, in this kind of condition --- so i bid on it, too

a little scuffing, some bbq paint for the metal and krylon fusion on the wood (and better glass) and it is likely to be minute of hogshead truck gun ..

i've had a couple 99s .. and while the 358 is my favorite, the 308s are usually 1.5-2 MOA, decent hunting, especially short shots at feeders for popping piggies!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
For all you bidders anxious to get your hands on a classic 99 remember that the live auction starts at 9 AM eastern time on Oct. 5th. Stay glued to your computer so you can submit additional bids, if you're so inclined, since you'll be competing with the folks bidding at the auction house.

I won't be attending this auction.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like a good chance to pick up a very useable 99 for a reasonable price.

I guess if looks matter more then function do not bid on it.

The only questionable thing to me is the scope mounts.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is fixable, custom stock and rust blue would do wonders, add a new rear iron sight. One wonders what the bore looks like, its now at $45 and Id bet it will fetch about a $125..butwho knowns at auctions, they are crazy..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
biebs will love it Big Grin

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
poor ole biebs. he cant help it if he loves butt ugly guns. wonder if hes ever even shot one a those blaser things hes always trying to get rid of?

Posts: 1541 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Bidding is now up to $210.00.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pass on this one....Butchloc has it up to $3,500!

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Offering him half that and he'll sell!!! well maybe not, I forgot the stock work and that's worth a pretty penny..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the stock had silver studs hammered into it and some campfire drunken induced relief carving on it I might just bid on it.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Bidding is now up o $210.00. Ray - you sure would have lost that bet on it selling for $125.00.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess not I bought it for $270. I happen to have a set of new old Savage 99 wood that will go on it, I'll cut the barrel and crown to 18 or 20 inches add a barrel band swivel, and fitted talley bases with cut for peep in the rear base; add my 2.5X Leupold Alaskan and I'll rust blue it..It will make a nice saddle gun, and whitetail culling gun and do for elk in a pinch, and I won't have much invested in it, just labor.....

And yes I thought I could get it bought for $125. so slapped a $300 bid on it based on me having that set of stocks and been looking for a gun to put them on. anyway that's a winter project if it shoots if not it will be a .284 and custom stocked.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Ray - Congrats on your new project rifle. Don't be tempted to sell it once you get it all fixed up. Now we need to discuss my finders fee. dancing

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
We will discuss it, no problem with that!! rotflmo

Never say never when I have a gun, most go down the road sooner or later, but first I have to get over my head with a project and take a licken on it once again..I should by hammers at $2.00 each and sell them for $1.00 each, its a better deal than horses, cattle and guns.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was another thread on the ugliest rifle .. I think the Savage 99 (not just this one) takes the prize. There is something very ungainly about the proportions and lines. Having said that, I love the 250 Savage ctg, as long as it's in a bolt gun!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Ray - don't forget we need a picture when you're done working your magic on the gun. Let me know when it's done and I'll post the pic for you. Make sure you take some before pictures so you can show us what it looked like before you gave it a make over. The pictures in the link I provided to the auction will be gone shortly.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
cross your fingers,I think Ive lost the bubba pictures...After they added this and that, the cost was too much, so I'll have to give it a total custom job...Turkish walnut, rust blue, cut and crown, add new iron sights checker the stock, I got in over my heard with those people, lots of hidden stuff showed up, but I can come out fine, but more work than I expected to put into it...BTW, I got a nice Savage 99F in .308 on Ebay for $480 shipped..Its a $800 gun any day...and 99Fs have gone over the top, Don't see them anymore for less thatn a grand, and the good ones are fetching $1250 give or take a 50 dollar bill. then there is shipping and ins..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Labman:
Ray - don't forget we need a picture when you're done working your magic on the gun. Let me know when it's done and I'll post the pic for you. Make sure you take some before pictures so you can show us what it looked like before you gave it a make over. The pictures in the link I provided to the auction will be gone shortly.

Russ, ya gotta be a true malineal or 1950s Hippie not to like the sleek lines of a Savage 99F, and its the all time best saddle gun that will qualify for deer and elk, I love the 250-3000 and Ihave one in a early FN factory rifle that's out of this world, and a 1920 take down Savage 99..Seems your coming around, just takes time.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neither. Just a guy who appreciates form as well as function.

I have to add that almost every Savage model is toward the ugly end of the spectrum relative to its peers. There is something wrong with the 10/110 series bolt rifles and their 340 series is worse; can't think of a Savage shotgun I would want to own .. their Fox/BSE guns are crude and their combo gun is rudimentary. They make a small caliber bolt rifle that's not too bad .. the M25. Their best guns were designed and/or made by someone else ... Valmet or Anschutz or the 720 copied from the Browning ... although the Stevens-designed guns are nothing to look at either. Having said that they sold plenty of guns and still do so perhaps I am in the minority.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yaaaa, ugh, a pox on you! rotflmo A 99 is milled steel, and walnut, rust blue and slim and trim, the mean Joe Green of the gun world, the dream of every young cowboy, second only to the 94 Winchester, and of course that's just my opinion!! that's what makes a horse race!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120