THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where can one get a long Mauser extractor?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted
I was wondering if someone might know where to find a Mauser 98 extractor that is longer than the normal one. This would need to be for a belted magnum such as 300 H&H or 375 H&H.

Many thanks

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
This would need to be for a belted magnum such as 300 H&H or 375 H&H

Confused Well bolts and extractors on my 358norma, 375H&H and 06 based rifles are the same except for the shape of the lip where it engages the case.

homer I was only thinking about the basic 98 style that has been opened to the front for the 375. Couple good leads now listed below.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway USA has extractors in three different sizes, standard, magnum, and blank.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=9&Cat...36***10560***9144***

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Midway USA has extractors in three different sizes, standard, magnum, and blank

Still the same length extractor. If you look at the tip the magnum will actually be shorter than the non-mag.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Longer which way?
Longer, as in it goes all the way back to the 3rd lug, to fill differance between the back end of the extractor and where the ejection port has been opened up.

or
where the extractor engauges the rim of the cartridge.
SS

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mauser OBENDORF MAGNUM extractor is 4.65 inches overall length.

The BREVEX MAGNUM extractor is 4.90 inches overall length.

PM me as I still have a FEW left from the old days when I made those custom parts. The ones I have are machined for a 30-06 hook so they could be opened up to any larger caliber.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1433 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I tried searching Brownell's for it. They used to list one in their catalog and it was LONG extractor that would fit the old Oberndorf square bridge actions as well as the BRNO ZKK602. I would call them (1-800-741-0015) and ask if they still have them or where you might get one.

Failing that, call CZUSA (1 800 955-4486, (913) 321-1811, (913) 321-2251, info@cz-usa.com). Sometimes the parts people are obnoxious and rude but you might find out if the CZ550 extractor is longer than a 98 and if it will fit the 98. I think it will.

I didn't get mine in before Jim replied. It certainly seems like his is the way to go.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this ebayer mentions specifying size-

AUCTION PAGE

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
PM me as I still have a FEW left from the old days when I made those custom parts. The ones I have are machined for a 30-06 hook so they could be opened up to any larger caliber.

Jim, PM sent

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote