THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Mauser problem: small ring barrel / large ring reciever

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser problem: small ring barrel / large ring reciever
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boha
posted
Experienced something of a disappointment; we were about to change barrels on a 98 to 404 jeff, but the reciever turned out to be large ring with small ring threads. Can�t use the 404 barrel. This was a new experience..
The rifle is a A.Francotte 7 x 57 serial nr 259 in an odd carbine model with military tangent adjustable rear sight (very fine) an stocked on top, one barrel band up front, no pistol grip. Is this something that ought not to be rebuilt?
Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are not uncommon, it is suitable for small ring calibers, 7x57, 257 roberts, 6.5x55 etc..

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't permanently modified it yet I would try to sell to a collector and then buy a VZ.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have an original Obendorf Mauser and thats a fine rifle worth big bucks as is..YOu cannot use a 404 barrel on it..It is designed for a 7x57, 8x57 etc..Obendorf made actions for the 404 and thats not one of them. I would think your gunsmith would have known that.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington barrels can be rethreaded to fit the large ring/small thread Mauser. I have a "Turkington" in '06 that I did that way. Very nice hunting gun.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The Huskys are like that too.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information.
The gunsmith feels a little bad about this escaping him. We never even contemplated the possibility. There�s a lot of -96 mausers around here, because of arguments with the russians, so it�s not an uncommon problem with the rings.
It�s back together now and I�ll keep it in 7x57, and make a new stock. The nickel plated action is so beautiful with the simple text "A.Francotte" on top, it would have made such nice 404. We�ll use a Husq. FN action instead.
There you have it, when everything else is perfect; barrel, action, scope, sights and a perfect goal, then suddenly the threads screw it up.
I�ll examine the markings on the action when I get it home.

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote