Find
Notify
Tools

Wood party!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted
Going to be cutting this slab up this weekend along with 5 others of similar size. This has been a fun project. Had to make some really hard decisions on where to place some of the blanks on these slabs but Im shooting for quality rather than quantity.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are they for sale

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Put me down for at least one of those as long as they are two-sided. (I think you could get 4 blanks out of that stump)

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
The majority of the blanks will be for sale. None of these blanks will be one sided. Both sides of the slabs are fairly close to being a mirror image.

Here is a blank cut from one of these slabs....there are just as good or better blanks still coming out.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
You are killing me with that wood!!! Very pretty stuff.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill

You need to get an auxilliary (slave) flash for your camera.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, what part of the tree is that piece? Is the bottom part where the butt of the stocks are part of the roots of the tree? Is this slab still green and if it is how long will it have to dry?

Beautiful piece of wood!!

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
22wrf,

A what? I turned the flash off to cut down on the glare. I dont know if my digital camera would support a slave or not. Nor would I know how to use one. Photography isnt my strong suit in case you hadnt noticed!! roflmao

Hart,

The slabs are all from the lower trunk. They are all 30 years dry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someones slaughtering a fat pig!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
WOW Bill!!

might pull 3 back, if the stump will take it...

send me the scraps under "?" ???

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, how much...

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Bill you selling the scraps? I could use some knife handle materal.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Wood where the ? is now 2 piece stock.

Here is another slab. Layout is a little different than the picture. Blank 3 is now a 2 piece and 4 has been moved a little.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Slowly but surely the blanks are coming out. Cut this one a few minutes ago. Not for sale.....yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bill.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
When I see wood like that I ask myself, "What else could be made with wood like that?" and nothing comes to mind. Gunstocks are that perfect blend of materials and form that beautiful wood seems to fit best.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I'd be interested in highly figured or at least contrasty scraps for making knife and sword handles. 1" x 1 1/2" x 5 or so is of interest. Looking for pieces for a damascus short sword now ... 1 1/2" x 2" x 7" or longer.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill-- That wood sure is beautiful "eye candy"!!!! I hope you are going to post pictures of the finished products.

Catch ya L8R

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Couple more..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill!

That´s a really nice bunch of blanks you have cut, great layout as well! It´s got to be great to be able to be there and se the blanks be cut!

I know the feeling from when I go wisit a stockmaker here in Sweden and have a look in his wood supply Cool It´s close to impossible to leave without a substantial empty space in the wallet Wink I don´t mind fiberglass/carbon stocks but a good looking slab of walnut is something else for sure!

Good luck with the picking and selling! Big Grin

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, what type walnut and history please, PM or email with prices when you can. Thanks.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Looks like some of those blanks would be long enough for a nice Jaeger.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Its black walnut, cut about 30 years ago. Tree was over 9ft in diameter. Pics and prices will be posted in classifieds section next week (hopefully).

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:
Couple more..........

Bill,
How thick are these? They look great.. i think i am in love with the bottom one..

if you cut #4, can you leave it as a slab, and i'd whittle it out

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Im only cutting the straight lines drawn on the slabs. The stock shapes are drawn so I can "see the gunstock" and for re-sale purposes. They will look just like the recent pics I posted.

This mornings group -

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Phew! Got the rest of the rifle blanks done......here's a pic....now on to the 2 piece blanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
those are some great black blanks

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are the chances of getting some scrape pieces to play with? Dont need any big pieces, but it would be fun to use to make calls or something else. Thanks.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Pretty damn good.

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Soverns,

You need to come up with a new thread title dude. For a minute I thought this was a thread for all of the stool pushers in the gunsmithing room Big Grin

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
alvinmack you pervert, bet you got all excited, lol.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Stay on your own side of the room alvinmack sofa hehehe....... Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Multiple rifle and 2 piece stock blanks will be posted in the classified section tomorrow morning. Prices will range from $175 - $350.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't seem to find it in classifieds. What title is it?

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here it is:

Stocks for Sale

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote