Find
Notify
Tools

WTF 1903 Springfield or 1917 Enfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
Not the usual WTF but "Where to Find". I was wondering if there was anyplace to find a receiver or action for the 1903 Springfield or 1917 pattern Enfield (not SMLE). I see their is Sarco and Numrich for Mausers which I realize now were the AK-47 of the day. But I don't seem to find anything for the classic American service rifles.

I would like to use both of these as a basis for custom rifles in the future but don't want to cut up an intact specimen. I see my only recourse may be to purchase a rifle someone else has already violated and go from there. Please let me know if you have knowledge of any sources or hidden caches. thx

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George-

If you are looking for an action, I would put a WTB ad in the Classified section of AR.

In addition, I would look at the firearm auction sites such as Gunbroker.com, as well as the others. You are most likely to find a "low budget" sporterized rifle that you can purchase for the action. You'll just have to be careful that the action has not been too "Bubba-ized" so that you don't have to go back and fix too many mistakes in order to build your project.

Good luck!!!

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry McGowen had an Enfield 1917 last time I was in his shop a couple of weeks ago, he may still have it. Phone 815-937-9816

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought two 1914 enfield actions on GB they have been magnafluxed and re treated, D & T for 700 mounts and trigger guard straightened. Do a google for EWING Scope stands Spokane WA 505-455-5677 they are shown on his weeb site as well as being a dutch auction on GB he has a number of them available.
I spoke with him yesterday-good guy

Posts: 165 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a pm.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sarco had 1917 actions and receivers, and still may. call them and ask.

I presume you know all about the low number 1903s, and will choose accordingly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wallyfish:
I just bought two 1914 enfield actions on GB they have been magnafluxed and re treated, D & T for 700 mounts and trigger guard straightened. Do a google for EWING Scope stands Spokane WA 505-455-5677 they are shown on his weeb site as well as being a dutch auction on GB he has a number of them available.

Spokane is still 509 area code Wink

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think this may be the best lead. May be a month or so till I can afford to splurge on one though. Thanks.

P.S. What is Magnaflux?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
sarco had 1917 actions and receivers, and still may. call them and ask.

I presume you know all about the low number 1903s, and will choose accordingly.
Let's see anything below 800,000 stay away from right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnaflux is used to check for cracks in steel. In this case the reciever rings passed.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrosVentreGeorge:
quote:
I think this may be the best lead. May be a month or so till I can afford to splurge on one though. Thanks.

P.S. What is Magnaflux?

That a procedure to find cracks if there are any.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh! Okay then thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So where is a good a place to find a Magnum Mauser hinged floor plate?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hold the phone...
you need a mauser hunged bottom metal for either of these, NOT a magnum mauser.... i kNOW you meant for a magnum length roung mauser bottom metal. However, a magnum mauser has a longer action screw spacing and won't fit. I've put mauser bottom metal on springfields and enfields.. its pretty easy work
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ewing scope stands
http://www.scopestands.com/

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
hold the phone...
However, a magnum mauser has a longer action screw spacing and won't fit.
jeffe

The new GMA magnum Mauser and the Brevex have a longer spacing. The original magnum length Mauser had the same screw spacing as a standard 98. 7.835"

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnaflux is a brand name of magnetic particle testing used to find cracks and other problems.Another crack finder is dye penetrant testing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have agreed to purchase and have money on the way for an action from Masterrifleman. But that action comes with the humped bottom metal. To make this into a .375 H&H what bottom metal should I use. As a prerequisite it must be hinged. Will a normal length mauser floor plate do the job? I am guessing that is what Jeff was trying to tell me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So was that a stupid question?