New
Find
Notify
Tools

mahogany
 Login/Join

<cyberhick>
posted
Recently, i have come into a huge supple of mahogany and i was wondering if it would make good handgun grips. It'd be for my Colt Python. Thanks.

cyberhick

<RugerNo3>
posted
You can use that Mahogany any way you wish. Remington used it for buttstocks on shotgunns to make lightweight upland guns with a straight grip. Weight is immaterial on a handgun.

------------------
"Use A Big Enough Gun!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rugerno 3 weight is not inmaterial on a hand gun if that was so you wouldn't have all those titaiaum and composite ones coming out when you carry a hand gun for a living day in and day out weight gets to be very important. If you are useing one in place of a 8 lb rifle sure you can have a heavier one. But if you are useing one to have a gun around just in case weight comes in as a factor.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mahogany may be alright for grips but as a stock it is not very strong I had a buttstock break on an 870 20 ga.Ltwt. right in the pistol grip area and it didnt take much to do it.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
<cyberhick>
posted
I already carry my Python, i know its heavy but it doesnt bother me, even after 18hrs. I reckon when you got a gut like mine a little bit more dont make much of a difference.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I carried a 45 Auto and a Browning Hi Power for 45 years stuck in my belt and it never seemed to bother me..The lightweigt guns are a gem for concealment however.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<cyberhick>
posted
yeah, i've been considering on getting a slightly smaller handgun thats polymer for concealment. I'm thinking about getting one of them Ruger .45's in polymer with the ambidextrous magazine release. I'm ambi and that would be great. I wish there was a truly ambi auto with an ambi slide release. I reckon when i finish my engineering degree, i'll have to design one.