New
Find
Notify
Tools

NC Gunsmith
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone recommend a 'smith that can handle recambering a 700 BDL from .223 to a .221 Fireball?

Pickings are slim here where I live.

Thanks in advance. crowrifle

[This message has been edited by crowrifle (edited 05-06-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its not a simple rechambering job. The barrel must be removed and the face and shoulder machined back far enough to accept the shorter chambering. You'd be better off buying a new barrel already chambered and having it installed. Since the 221 Fireball has no ballistic advantage over the .223 I'm curious as to why you want to make the change?

If you insist, Ward Bufkin at Darlington Gun Works in Darlington, SC can do the work for a fair price. His number is : (843)393-3931.

Posts: 3685 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I realize the .221 lags behind the .223 ballistically speaking, but it looks to be a solid performer out to 200+ yards with considerably less noise.

I was hoping to use the factory barrel because of its rate of twist would allow me to use heavier bullets, but it looks like for the money I would spend to have it set back and rechambered I can have an aftermarket installed.

I already own a Hornet, a triple deuce and a 22-250. I think a Fireball would nicely fill the niche between the Hornet and the .222.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey crowrifle, Here are a couple more guys you can contact.

www.tooleyrifles.com Dave Tooley makes some excellent custom rifles in Gastonia, NC.

John Lewis lives in the Lowcountry down near Jackson, SC and at one time was Kenny Jarrett's right-hand-man. You can reach John at: CPRifles@aol.com (By the way, if you contact John today, tell him Hot Core said "100 Days to DEER SEASON!!!")

And of course Kenny Jarrett in Jackson, SC.

Actually it doesn't matter where they are located unless you plan to "hand carry" your rifle to them.

Another fellow who is not close by, but with an excellent reputation is Lex Webernick at: www.riflesinc.com

One other option you might want to consider is to "down-load" either your 222Rem or 223Rem to 221Fireball levels.

I just flipped through PO Ackley's "Handbook For Shooters & Reloaders" and it shows some old Loads that sent 55gr bullets from a 22" - 221Fireball at 2564fps and 3000fps using about 15gr of one powder and 18gr of another.

The same book shows some Loads for the 223Rem using 20gr of a specific powder to achieve 2685fps (barrel length not specified). The actual "report" of that 223Rem load would be indistinguishable from the "report" of the 221Fireball to my ears. And as you can see it falls within the normal range of velocity for the 55gr bullets in the 221Fireball.

I have some Loads for "my" 223Rem using 1x.xgr of "2400" powder with both 45gr and 50gr bullets that come very close to duplicating 22Hornet performance levels. So, it is possible for you to have a "Virtual 221Fireball" with careful loading of your current rifles. Plus you maintain the flexibility of keeping your original caliber intact.

Good luck which ever way you choose to go.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote