New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun cleaning question?
 Login/Join

<Alabama 280>
posted
I have just purchased a Dewey cleaning rod and bore guide from Sinclair,int.The question is there a rule to go by on what size patch to use? And any tips on useing a jag. I know this is a dumb question but I have never used a jag.

------------------
Alabama 280

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Alabama,

Welcome aboard! I trust you will find this forum as beneficial as I have. Your inquiries on proper cleaning techniques are an always basic recommended practice that is good for everyone.

1. Use only non-lint creating patches. Choose your brand, it does not matter.
2. The rule for the patch is when using a jag is that the patch secures to the jags point and that it fit into the barrel snugly so that you may push the rod through without any impediments (only a slight resistance). The thickness of the patch dictates this property and not the surface area.
3. For loops, one should have a patch large enough to thoroughly swab and wet the barrel without much snugness. (I always remove the patch after it exits the muzzle). It is only to facilitate the bore brushes removal of fouling of any type (i.e. copper, lead etc).
4. I subscribe to the adage of not pulling back a dirty patch back into the barrel from the muzzle. Always push a clean path from breech to muzzle.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your new equipment!

------------------
Best regards,
Alex

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Whitespider>
posted
I go to the local sewing store and buy 100% cotton flannel, knapped on both sides. I buy it by the yard and cut to the size I need. Five bucks will buy you enough to clean guns for years.