Find
Notify
Tools

Rick Jamison sueing over WSM's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are statements to the contrary. One can also find in writing that the earth is flat, that the U.S. never sent a man to the moon (it was supposedly all fake film), that the holocaust (SP?) never occured, that the M-1 Garand rifle could NOT be successfully mass manufactured and was too weak to handle full powered '06 loads anyway, etc., etc.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
The problem with this line of thought is that the inventor does actually suffer a provable loss...the loss of income they should have made by selling such item to you. That's a real damage.

I do not think the 'own use' defense would hold up in a serious court case. Not worth the effort to claim, maybe. Seriously and fully within the law, doubtful.

JMO, YMMV!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's try this another way.

Think of your favorite song and the artist who recorded that work. Now, does that artist have that work copyrighted? Probably.

Does that mean you can't whistle the song for your own pleasure? Most assuredly not.

Does that mean you can't whistle it for profit at a public forum. Yes.

That's because a copyright, just as a patent protects an inventor, protects the artist in the marketplace but NOT in your private life.

So, you can whistle his tune, and you can make your own products, so long as you don't sell to or provide others with either one.

He is protected in the market with either, but he has suffered no market loss unless you buy or sell in, or otherwise provide to, the market without his permission.

f you do not buy or sell a good in the market, there can be no violation of market law, which is what a patent and a copyright both are.

Rather than argue it forever though, I will just say to you again...ask a patent attorney. Any experienced one will set the matter straight for you.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:
The problem with this line of thought is that the inventor does actually suffer a provable loss...the loss of income they should have made by selling such item to you. That's a real damage.

Not if no sale occurred and no one else illegally profited from such a sale. He has a right to the profit from any sales in the marketplace. He cannot prove any sale to you would have occured in the first place. Hypothetical sales only have hypothetical profits, not real ones. So there is only a hypothetical loss, not a real one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
What I don't understand is why everyone is so down on Jamison. If he holds a proper patent he is entitled to compensation. Not only is that fair and proper it is legal.

And all of you who say you won't buy a WSM now because of the patent, do you have any idea how many patents exist on firearms and how much is paid in royalties to the holders?

OK I'll tell you exactly why I can't stand Jameson. HE DIDN'T INVENT THE WSM'S. I'm also aggrivated at the fool at the patent office that granted him one, but that wouldn't be so bad if Jameson wasn't using the bogus patent to extort money from anyone who likes the WSM's.
I loathe anyone who manipulates the legal system to get money they didn't earn and don't derserve. Jameson didn't invent the WSM's and so he doesn't deserve a cent from them.
The Clinton's used the legal system to try and put Gun Manufacturers out of business. Jameson used the legal system to feed his own greed and achieved a result the the Clinton's were aiming for. At least with the Clintons you knew who the enemy was. Jameson is just a greedy SOB that's extorting money from Me and other shooters who like the WSM's. It's almost enough to make me not ever want to use them.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
As I understand it, if you make or use any patented item for your own use and not for resale, you have committed no legal offense whatsoever.

Incorrect. The Patent Act contains no exception for "personal use". Further, the patent owner can choose between collecting either lost profits or a reasonable royalty. If he elects a reasonable royalty, then he does not need to prove that he has lost a sale. If the infringement was willful, the patent owner also has a chance to collect treble damages and attorneys fees.

____

Jeff, I am afraid you are off track again. Jamison did not patent reamers so anyone can make a reamer. But if you use that reamer to make a WSM rifle, then you have committed an act of patent infringement and Mr. Jamison could sue you (if he found out about it, if he cared, if he thought it was worth his trouble, etc.).

Your prior reasoning seemed to be that if you legally purchased a reamer, then you could use it to make the patented rifle without any liability for patent infringement. That is not the case. You could also use an unpatented screwdriver in making the patented rifle, but that would not excuse you from liability either.

And if Winchester/Olin did not succeed against Mr. Jamison, does a small shop gunsmith really have a chance? Even if the gunsmith won, it would never be worth his time or money. Better to stick to making 30-06 and 300 Win Mag rifles. The WSMs are just not worth the headache.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has it occured to you that there may be lots of exceptions not listed in the act which are none-the-less exceptions?

As I said before, you guys can believe anything you want....the earth is flat, the pyramids were actually built by Martians, whatever.

I still suggest that you need to consult with a real live, practicing, reputable, patent attorney. I have. My training and all the folks I have met who actually hold patents indicate that what I have told you is the way it is. If you wish to believe otherwise, have a ball.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC,

I am afraid that you will need to consult a more competent attorney than the one who advised you, or at least listen more carefully this time. Cool

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Has it occured to you that there may be lots of exceptions not listed in the act which are none-the-less exceptions?

As I said before, you guys can believe anything you want....the earth is flat, the pyramids were actually built by Martians, whatever.

I still suggest that you need to consult with a real live, practicing, reputable, patent attorney. I have. My training and all the folks I have met who actually hold patents indicate that what I have told you is the way it is. If you wish to believe otherwise, have a ball.

So far I have only noticed one poster on this thread who is listed in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's list of licensed patent attorneys, and I do not believe it was you.

Not getting caught and not getting sued because it is a waste of time may be "exceptions," but I would hate to rely on them.

If you look up the defintion of "patent infringement" at the PTO website you will see "making" as one of the categories.

This is not and should be be confused with legal advice. You mileage may vary. Caveat Emptor. Bene Lava. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Consult an attorney of your own choosing.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ,
You doggone sure got that right!

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I see that Montana rifle Co. offers several barreled actions in WSM calibers.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Rusty, one might then surmise that they have agreed to pay the royalties to Jamison.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
...OK I'll tell you exactly why I can't stand Jameson. HE DIDN'T INVENT THE WSM'S. I'm also aggrivated at the fool at the patent office that granted him one, but that wouldn't be so bad if Jameson wasn't using the bogus patent to extort money from anyone who likes the WSM's.
I loathe anyone who manipulates the legal system to get money they didn't earn and don't derserve. Jameson didn't invent the WSM's and so he doesn't deserve a cent from them.
The Clinton's used the legal system to try and put Gun Manufacturers out of business. Jameson used the legal system to feed his own greed and achieved a result the the Clinton's were aiming for. At least with the Clintons you knew who the enemy was. Jameson is just a greedy SOB that's extorting money from Me and other shooters who like the WSM's. It's almost enough to make me not ever want to use them.....................DJ
Hey dj, You might not appreciate this, but I agree with you 99.5%. I for sure will never own one.

No doubt it is a fine Case Design, but I'll never feed jamison a penny.
---

By the way, it is ALWAYS nice to see a collective group of "attorneys" arguing amongst themselves and also not making a penny.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not an infringement to make somthing for your own use. What interests me is what prior art was cited and how he avoided or improved it. It is not clear what was claimed in the patent other than dimension/ ratios. If that is true then he could have obtained a design patent. No patent is really valid until it has been tested in court. The patent is issued upon the claims made, and the prior art.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
It is not an infringement to make somthing for your own use.

Wrong.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
...OK I'll tell you exactly why I can't stand Jameson. HE DIDN'T INVENT THE WSM'S

This may be true But he did develope the "Jamison" cartridge line which are the same thing, or so the courts appear to agree.

There is another thread going at this time over on 24hour campfire discussing this topic once again in which a gun writer claims Jamison went to Winchester with his cartridges and was blown off by them only to have them later come out with the cartridge under a new name.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?C...age=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

This is all inter-net gossip, I have no idea how true it is I`m just repeting what I`ve read.

Weather or not he was the first to design these cartridges, he was the first to lay claim. The patent was awarded to him and the courts appear to have agreed to his ownership. I don`t know squat about patent law but I do know if Winchester, Remington or other big company owned the rights to a cartridge and felt a need to demand royalties and none would question their right.
I am not backing Jamison as much as it appears I am, but I am standing behind any patent holder that tries to protect their property. This includes Chiness DVD boot-leggers auto industry part copies, ect.
I know nothing but what I have read on the web about the case but the courts seem to agree with him for what ever reason, so his case seems to have some merit.
As to who really first came up with the WSM cartridge idea, it likely was some old `smith with too much time on his hands back during the depression after pulling a 348 Win case out of a 500 nitro chamber that some knot head managed to get to fire with out distroying the evidence..and no $$ to patent it.. Wink

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ultimately, it might be something like with muzzle brakes. KDF patented their muzzle brake system yet everybody makes similar brakes.
We've seen similar issues over cartridges in the past. Charles Newton with his cartridges. Gebby with the 22-250 Varminter. Newton's stance contributed to the demise of his cartridges. Gebby's copyright of the "Varminter" title antagonized the gunsmithing trade and got him nothing. Jamison's stance will do him little good in the end, I would think.

Posts: 3586 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that Jameson's deal has ever gone to court. I think they just decided that it was cheaper to pay a royalty and pass the increase on to the consumer.
There was an article within the last couple months in American Rifleman about the Springfield rifle. They paid a royalty to Mauser for use of some of their patented features. They also were asked to pay a royalty for use of the pointed bullet but refused. They ended up paying something like twice as much in legal fees etc. fighting the spitzer bullet issue than they paid in royalties on the action design. Maybe the thinking about paying royalties to the Greedy SOB Jameson is something to avoid repeating this..............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:

n in which a gun writer claims Jamison went to Winchester with his cartridges and was blown off by them only to have them later come out with the cartridge under a new name.

I think you will find such things happen all the time. The big company thinks they can take advantage of the little guy because he doesn't have the resources to fight them. Yet somehow here Jamison is resented and a greedy SOB.........all by people who don't have the facts..........I think some people just resent the idea of others making money.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if Jamison invented and/or patented his line of 404-based 308-length cartridges before Lazzeroni created theirs?

one of us
posted Hide Post
All this little rumble is going to do, plus the fact that Winchester is not making rifles anymore, is hasten the demise of a set of cartridges which had no real niche to begin with. Personally I say good riddance.

Whether Jamison has patent rights or not, there are alternatives available without all the legal baggage that do a similar job, or close enough for government work.

If I was Jamison, all I would have done is waive any royalties and just ask Winchester to market the cartridges under his name ie 300 Jamison etc etc. Then he would have a legacy to be proud of. What he has now is no legacy at all, in fact from the drift I read here he is now tainted goods.

What did Layne Simpson do when he invented the 7mm STW? Or had someone done it before?

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
So far there are two theories going around about Jamison and the WSM.

1. Jamison is a greedy SOB who sued Winchester and others because of a questionable patent.
2. Jamison went to Winchester with an idea for new cartriges that he had developed, and Winchester stole his idea without paying royalties.

USRAC is done, and would be even if Jamison never came around. I don't know the specifics of this case, but there are many similar cases in firearms history were patents were "stolen" or products modified enough to just squeak by. In short, Jamison might have a valid case, but it has ruined his career.

One more question. Are the Remmington short mags also in danger of violating the patents? It seems the patent is pretty vauge.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonder how many firearms wouldn't have been invented if John Browning wouldn't have been patent protected with his first one that Winchester purchased? What if they said, thats not new and made it anyway?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonder how many firearms wouldn't have been invented if John Browning wouldn't have been patent protected with his first one that Winchester purchased? What if they said, thats not new and made it anyway?

so true but do we know the number of suits on patent infringement there has been in the last 100 years of the firearms industry?

I can assure you that they've happened and never made any press at all. I'm personally aware of some that no one ever heard about so just wonder how many others have happened.

The only thing significant about Jamison's patent is that it's getting a lot of press. It's not at all likely anything we'd ever discuss otherwise.

While working on developing reloading tools it was interesting to note that design engineers spent more time researching patents than designing tools as it makes no sense to put a product out to feed the competitor. I assure you that there's a ton of patients in the firearms industry and Jamison's is merely the one getting the press.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's not a good analogy. John Browning actually invented the firearms that he patented. JAMESON DIDN'T INVENT SHORT FAT CARTRIDGES! The PPC's had been around for quite a few years before he upscaled them and made them into WSM's. His original articles mentioned using the idea of the PPC's on a larger scale. Maybe Ferris Pindell should be suing Jameson. Jameson is nothing but a Greedy opportunist. John Browning was one of if not the greatest firearms inventor of all time.............DJ

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's not a good analogy. John Browning actually invented the firearms that he patented. JAMESON DIDN'T INVENT SHORT FAT CARTRIDGES! The PPC's had been around for quite a few years before he upscaled them and made them into WSM's. His original articles mentioned using the idea of the PPC's on a larger scale. Maybe Ferris Pindell should be suing Jameson. Jameson is nothing but a Greedy opportunist. John Browning was one of if not the greatest firearms inventor of all time.............DJ

thumbDarn you took my answer!!!!

I have no trouble with someone taking their own idea and getting a patent. Browning was the father of new ideas and designs. I have a REAL problem with someone taking ideas of others (who chose to share) and changing the name and then calling them their own and getting a patent. To me it would be like me taking my 280PDK based (improved)case getting a patent and saying the AI, Gibbs etc were in violation.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right its not the best analogy. However my point was about the need for patents to promote risk taking with respect to new ideas and concepts.

Here is a queston I would like to know the answer to. What was the driving force behind the explosion of the WSM's?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is another thread going at this time over on 24hour campfire discussing this topic once again in which a gun writer claims Jamison went to Winchester with his cartridges and was blown off by them only to have them later come out with the cartridge under a new name.

This is all inter-net gossip, I have no idea how true it is I`m just repeting what I`ve read.

Weather or not he was the first to design these cartridges, he was the first to lay claim. The patent was awarded to him and the courts appear to have agreed to his ownership. I don`t know squat about patent law but I do know if Winchester, Remington or other big company owned the rights to a cartridge and felt a need to demand royalties and none would question their right.
I am not backing Jamison as much as it appears I am, but I am standing behind any patent holder that tries to protect their property. This includes Chiness DVD boot-leggers auto industry part copies, ect.
I know nothing but what I have read on the web about the case but the courts seem to agree with him for what ever reason, so his case seems to have some merit.
As to who really first came up with the WSM cartridge idea, it likely was some old `smith with too much time on his hands back during the depression after pulling a 348 Win case out of a 500 nitro chamber that some knot head managed to get to fire with out distroying the evidence..and no $$ to patent it.. Wink

I posted the comment on the 24Hr Campfire about RJ & Winchester. I haven't verified it to be true with the principals, but they are not talking either.

I think some of you folks need to pay more attention to what Dan has posted on the patents and patent law.

I have worked in industries where intellectual property was routinely a part of projects, and so I never worried overmuch about feelings and RJ's situation.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jamison did not patent short fat cartridges, he patented one with a particular shape, specific dimensions. He showed it to Winchester, they said no thanks and then copied it. I have no hard feelings towards him, it is his patent. If you wanted to push the shoulder ahead .005" you could build that different cartridge and ammo etc. Winchester took an easy route figuring nothing would happen and it did. Blame Winchester for not doing the right thing when it was offered to them.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, His round was a 338 Short Mag, one that they still haven't produced. The 7 WSM does have the shoulder moved forward. If you read his patent it does cover more than just one round of specific dimensions............DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dj, Can I say ..... ooops, lol. So maybe the patent he got is rather bogus then. In the words of Emilie Latilla (Laugh In - probably before some folks era) -- "Never Mind".

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
It appears that Mr. Jamison has covered both the firearms and the ammo, and making, using, selling or offering to sell either of them in the U.S. would be an act of patent infringement.

U.S. Patent No. 5,825,361 entitled “Short-action chamber and bolt assembly for high power firearm cartridgeâ€.

Claim 1: A firearm chamber and bolt assembly comprising a tubular chamber for matingly receiving a tubular cartridge case, and an elongate bolt, having a bolt face, selectively slidable longitudinally in a sliding direction between a retracted unlocked position and an extended locked position for pushing said cartridge case into said chamber and providing a locked bolt face when said bolt is in said locked position, said chamber being capable of withstanding internal gas pressures of at least about 65,000 psi and having a first end, adjacent to said locked bolt face, for insertably receiving said cartridge case and a second end defining a case mouth recess for said cartridge case, said chamber having a first portion of a substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said first end and a second portion of a narrower substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said second end, and a frusto-conical portion interconnecting said first portion and said second portion, said chamber defining an overall length measured from said locked bolt face to said second end of said chamber, said first portion having an inner chamber diameter at a location 1.25 inch from said locked bolt face of at least about 0.53 inch, said overall length having a ratio to said inner chamber diameter at said location of no more than about 4.2, said bolt having an extractor adjacent to said bolt face and a channel oriented transversely to said sliding direction of said bolt through which a rim portion of said cartridge, having an outside diameter substantially no less than said inner chamber diameter at said location, is movable transversely to said sliding direction into gripping engagement by said extractor before said cartridge is inserted into said chamber.

U.S. Patent No. 5,970,879 entitled “High-power firearm cartridge for short-action chamber and bolt assemblyâ€.

Claim 1: A firearm cartridge having a projectile and an elongate tubular case capable of withstanding internal gas pressures of at least about 50,000 psi, said case having a first end defining a substantially circular base with an annular rim and a second end defining a mouth for insertably receiving said projectile, said case having a first portion of substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said first end and a second portion of a narrower substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said second end, and a frusto-conical shoulder portion interconnecting said first portion and said second portion, said case having an overall length extending between said first end and said second end, and said first portion having an outer case diameter at a location 1.25 inches from said first end, said overall length having a ratio to said outer case diameter at said location of no more than about 3.5, said outer case diameter at said location being at least about 0.53 inch, said rim having an outer rim diameter substantially no less than said outer case diameter at said location.

U.S. Patent No. 6,354,221 entitled: “High-power firearm cartridgeâ€.

Claim 1: A firearm cartridge having a projectile within a range from 0.224 to 0.458 caliber and an elongate tubular case capable of withstanding internal gas pressures of at least 50,000 psi, said cartridge having sufficient propellant to fire in a short-action firearm at an internal gas pressure of at least 50,000 psi and being manually extractable after firing, said case having a first end defining a substantially circular base with an annular rim and a second end defining a mouth for insertably receiving said projectile, said case having a first portion of substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said first end and a second portion of a narrower substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said second end, and a frusto-conical shoulder portion interconnecting said first portion and said second portion, said case having an overall length extending between said first end and said second end, and said first portion having an outer case diameter of at least about 0.53 inch at a location 1.25 inches from said first end, said overall length having a ratio to said outer case diameter at said location of no more than about 4.2, said first portion having a first portion length extending between said first end and said shoulder portion, said first portion length having a ratio to said outer case diameter at said location of no more than about 3.33, said firearm cartridge being free of any protrusion extending radially outwardly beyond said cylindrical shape of said first portion of said case, said rim having an outer rim diameter substantially no less than said outer case diameter at said location so as to insure reliable bolt operation of the firearm.

United States Patent No. 6,550,174 entitled “Short-action firearm for high-power firearm cartridgeâ€.

Claim 1: A short-action firearm having an elongate chamber and bolt assembly comprising a tubular chamber and a bolt, selectively slidable longitudinally in a sliding direction between a retracted unlocked position and an extended locked position, said bolt providing a locked bolt face when said bolt is in said locked position, said chamber having a first end adjacent to said locked bolt face and a second end defined by a case mouth recess sized for operably receiving a cartridge with a projectile of a specific caliber within a range from 0.224 to 0.458 caliber, said chamber being capable of withstanding internal gas pressures of at least about 65,000 psi and being sized to matingly engage said cartridge so as to enable said cartridge to fire in said chamber with sufficient propellant to produce an internal gas pressure of at least 50,000 psi and to operably withstand said pressure, said bolt being capable of inserting said cartridge into said chamber and operably extracting said cartridge manually therefrom after firing of said cartridge at said pressure, said chamber having a first portion of substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said first end and a second portion of a narrower substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said second end, and a frusto-conical shoulder portion interconnecting said first portion and said second portion, said chamber having an overall length measured from said locked bolt face to said second end of said chamber, said first portion having an inner chamber diameter at a location 1.25 inch from said locked bolt face of at least 0.53 inch, said overall length having a ratio to said inner chamber diameter at said location of no more than about 4.2, said first portion having a first portion length extending between said locked bolt face and said frusto-conical shoulder portion, said first portion length having a ratio to said inner chamber diameter at said location of no more than about 3.33, said chamber being sized for operably receiving a cartridge free of any protrusion on said cartridge extending radially outwardly beyond said cylindrical shape of said first portion of said chamber, said bolt having an extractor sized for operably gripping a rim portion of said cartridge having an outer rim diameter greater than 0.5 inch.

U.S. Patent No. 6,595,138 entitled “High-power firearm cartridgeâ€.

Claim 1: A cartridge for firing in a mating short-action firearm chamber, said cartridge having a projectile within a range from 0.224 to 0.458 caliber and an elongate tubular case, having a first end defining a substantially circular base with an annular rim and groove, capable of operably withstanding, and having sufficient propellant to fire at, an internal gas pressure of at least 50,000 psi when in said chamber, and being operably extractable manually after firing at said pressure, said case having a second end defining a mouth for insertably receiving said projectile, said case having a first portion of substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said first end and a second portion of a narrower substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said second end, and a frusto-conical shoulder portion interconnecting said first portion and said second portion, said case having an overall length extending between said first end and said second end, and said first portion having an outer case diameter of at least about 0.53 inch at a location 1.25 inches from said first end, said overall length having a I ratio to said outer case diameter at said location of no more than about 4.2, said first portion having a first portion length extending between said first end and said shoulder portion, said first portion length having a ratio to said outer case diameter at said location of no more than about 3.33, said cartridge being free of any protrusion extending radially outwardly beyond said cylindrical shape of said first portion of said case, said case being capable of withstanding said internal gas pressure of at least 50,000 psi when in said chamber without permanent deformation of said groove longitudinally of said case.

United States Patent No. 6,675,717 entitled “Ultra-short high-power firearm cartridgeâ€.

Claim 1: A cartridge for firing in a mating short-action firearm chamber, said cartridge having a projectile and an elongate tubular case, having a first end defining a substantially circular base with an annular rim and groove, capable of operably withstanding, and having sufficient propellant to fire at, an internal gas pressure of at least 50,000 psi when in said chamber, and being operably extractable manually after firing at said pressure, said case having a second end defining a mouth for insertably receiving said projectile, said case having a first portion of substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said first end and a second portion of a narrower substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said second end, and a frusto-conical shoulder portion interconnecting said first portion and said second portion, said case having an overall length extending between said first end and said second end, and said first portion having a first portion diameter of at least about 0.53 inch at a location where said first portion interconnects with said shoulder portion, said overall length having a ratio to said first portion diameter at said location of no more than about 3.5, said first portion having a first portion length extending between said first end and said shoulder portion, said first portion length having a ratio to said first portion diameter of no more than about 3.

United States Patent No. 6,678,983 entitled: “Ultra-short-action firearm for high-power firearm cartridgeâ€.

Claim 1: A short-action firearm having an elongate chamber and bolt assembly comprising a tubular chamber and a bolt, selectively slidable longitudinally in a sliding direction between a retracted unlocked position and an extended locked position, said bolt providing a locked bolt face when said bolt is in said locked position, said chamber having a first end adjacent to said locked bolt face and a second end defined by a case mouth recess sized for operably receiving a cartridge with a projectile said chamber being capable of withstanding internal gas pressures of at least about 65,000 psi and being sized to matingly engage said cartridge so as to enable said cartridge to fire in said chamber with sufficient propellant to produce an internal gas pressure of at least 50,000 psi and to operably withstand said pressure, said bolt being capable of inserting said cartridge into said chamber and operably extracting said cartridge manually therefrom after firing of said cartridge at said pressure, said chamber having a first portion of substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said first end and a second portion of a narrower substantially cylindrical shape adjacent to said second end, and a frusto-conical shoulder portion interconnecting said first portion and said second portion, said chamber having an overall length measured from said locked bolt face to said second end of said chamber, said first portion having a first portion inner diameter of at least about 0.53 inch at a location where said first portion interconnects with said shoulder portion, said overall length having a ratio to said first portion inner diameter at said location of no more than about 3.5, said first portion having a first portion length extending between said locked bolt face and said frusto-conical shoulder portion, said first portion length having a ratio to said first portion inner diameter at said location of no more than about 3, said chamber being sized for operably receiving a cartridge free of any protrusion on said cartridge extending radially outwardly beyond said cylindrical shape of said first portion of said chamber.

These are excerpts only and do not fully represent the subject matter covered by the patents.

Chic, It's a lot of lawyer-ese, but it sure seems to cover more than just the 338 Jameson.........DJ

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Jamison did not patent short fat cartridges, he patented one with a particular shape, specific dimensions. He showed it to Winchester, they said no thanks and then copied it. I have no hard feelings towards him, it is his patent. If you wanted to push the shoulder ahead .005" you could build that different cartridge and ammo etc. Winchester took an easy route figuring nothing would happen and it did. Blame Winchester for not doing the right thing when it was offered to them.

Does this mean that all this is just not so? That who ever is claiming this is.....well...you know!

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote