Find
Notify
Tools

MRC 1999 footprint
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All:

I am having a Bastogne blank turned to a semi-inlet. Is the MRC Model 1999 footprint the same as the pre-64 Winchester Model 70? Seems to me I remember that as being true, but want to confirm before I send the blank off.

TIA

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
According to the mfr, yes.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are differences in the inletting for the bottom metal and the tang.

The differences are fairly minor - i.e. something which can normally be "fixed" with epoxy and a bit of paint in a synthetic stock. If you are looking for a custom, wooden stock though, you may want to look into exactly what the differences are. Ask at MRC, they'll tell you.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho is correct, but also add that the front ring is a slight bit longer than the M70. It extends forward of the recoil lug about 1/8". The bottom metal is the main difference, it is larger and will require the most work. Have your stockmaker contact MRC as they will on occasion send out receivers to stockmakers that don't make the cut. They are pretty good at doing that for stockmakers. Some other thoughts are that when you drop your receiver into the stock you'll want to make reliefs where the 2 vent holes are on the front ring as sometimes they will drop below wood line. This can be done easily with a round file like you would use for sharpening a chainsaw. Also the bolt release housing will require some inletting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, McGowen Rifle, I hadn't thought about asking MRC to send a loaner action out. I've gotten ahold of Dan at MRC and he was helpful with the inletting differences....pretty much as you've outlined.

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Just keep in mind that it is not at all like the true Pre-64, which is shorter than the Post-64 long-action and longer than the short-action.

They have two sizes that are the same footprint as the Post-64 long and short-action, depending on the caliber you're after.

If you have the stock inletted for a true Pre-64, you're gonna be SOL.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote