New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pilkington oil
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When using this stuff for post-season maintenance/touch-up, is it necessary to use the rottenstone as described on the side of the bottle?

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
It's not absolutely necessary but will give you a better finish. Do make certain that your stock is CLEAN before rubing in any more oil. Pay close attention to the checkering, use a soft tooth brush to clean it out. You don't want to rub in dirt with the oil.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-06-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Claw:
Do make certain that your stock is CLEAN before rubing in any more oil.

What do you use or recommend for cleaning?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use mineral spirits.

quote:
Originally posted by John Frazer:
What do you use or recommend for cleaning?

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, I use a lot of the Red Oil in the last stages of stock finishing...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Scots right on mineral spirits is the ticket

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Good stuff, I use a lot of the Red Oil in the last stages of stock finishing...

Well, Ray, that's why I bought it ... you recommended it when I asked on HA what would be good for touching up a pre-war Winchester.

Thanks, all, for the info.

John