Find
Notify
Tools

.338 WM converted to 9.3 x 64
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted
I have one but want the other,can it be done with a minimum of `smithing?

Or any suggestions of other calibres as donors for a `64?
I have a few 300 WM`s can they be done?

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gryphon The case head on the 9.3x64 is smaller than the case head on the 338 Win. Case diameter on the 338 is also larger so the feed rails on an action set up for the 338 may not hold the 9.3x64 cases in the magazine. You wouldn't want to open the bolt and have the magazine unload. If you want a 9.3x64 I would suggest re-barreling a mauser or a pre 64 Win that was set up for a 30-06. It is easy to open up the bolt face to the correct size and open the feed rails slightly. That is a great cartridge. 375 H&H performance out of a smooth feeding std length action.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
It will also work in "other" actions that are not mauser or "pre 64".
Like any great Win M70 action whether it be controlled feed or push feed or a Ruger for instance.
The .338m Win mag has a Magnum bolt face. Anything with a Non Magnum bolt face that is long action will work 25/06, 270, 280, 30/06, 35 Whelen.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Thank you both,that has stuffed up the idea of using the 338 then.She has some nice wood and I wanted to use an old classic cartridge to make her smile.

Back to the thinking board!
Oh if I was to change cals with this rifle with the minimum of fuss what is recommended?

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Think of it this way, John: the .338WM goes back about 60 years and its OKH ancestors almost as far as the 9.3x64. The latter may be good but is a comparatively rare bird, whereby ammo in Africa might be nearly as hard to find as the 375 Ruger, which would be the obvious larger-caliber conversion. I don't suppose your action is long enough to comfortably hold the H&H or 375 Weatherby (which, with less taper, might feed better from the magazine if not into the breech).

Posts: 5087 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
No one has a solution except to recco something else..I have more powerful crackers in the stable if I want to reach for better but the `64 is an itch that needs a scratch..375`s of either persuasion dont grab me.

BTW how did you go gutting that Redfield cobber?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll assume that the photo is of a CRF Winchester. If it was a post 64 push feed, those are fairly easy to convert and can start as either standard or magnum bolt face. On a mag bolt face, you make a reducer bushing and solder it in. Same as you do for a Sako extractor conversion on a Remington. Most push feed actions can be converted this way.

Have you considered an 8X68S? That should work without need to mod the bolt face. May need a new extractor, but otherwise should fit and feed without much fuss. Ballistically little different than the .338, but definitely more nostalgic.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Thank you,No I havent considered another calibre at all..I gotta itch ha ha.
btw its a post 64

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
If I had an extra 338 rifle sitting around, and the interest to do it, I would make a 358 Norma.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Had one for years,its a hammer too.I have had her in my claw the last few days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, you got this 64mm bug BADDDD John !!!!

Speak to Rob Devries (Kudu Gunsmithing, if you have n't got his contact details pm me and ill send them to you). Get a current issue Win M70 in 30/06 or .300 and have it "smithed" and re-barreled in to a Brenneke.
That's the cheapest remedy for your affliction.
All other options are going to cost you much more !!!!

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Paul,I`m exploring just about everything that can be done,I have three .300 WM`s ,maybe one of those could go into it. But I wanted wood,good wood..but not THAT good ha ha.

I know of Kudu too.
I was ready to order a Voere yesterday, they do a `64 but was told by the importer yesterday through the dealer that its a 4 month wait..6 months tops..Canned that too!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
A stock like that should be mated to a Weatherby caliber.

Not my cup of tea but a really nice piece of walnut.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it would likely work fairly well -- might need a replacement extractor off a 3006 ..

in fact, its been done several times, though a 3006 and x62 would be a better place.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Weatherby? Classic?

Try Mauser and Brenneke Naki

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
No one has a solution except to recco something else..I have more powerful crackers in the stable if I want to reach for better but the `64 is an itch that needs a scratch..375`s of either persuasion dont grab me.

BTW how did you go gutting that Redfield cobber?

I see a place for the 9.3x64, like the 425 WR, where you want to use Mauser clips or change barrels with smaller standard calibres. However, changing calibres often brings feeding problems, not the sort of thing you want in DG rifles. Maybe just scour the world for an original 9.3x64?

I didn't have the heart to pull that scope to bits because it may have obscure collector's value (being like no other Redfield I've ever seen). Also, I suspect it may not have had enough use to show the erector tube wear I am looking for. If anyone has an old image-movement scope that rattles or won't hold zero, let me know.

Posts: 5087 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
A 375 Ruger will work with very little alteration needed

Just a new barrel, you wanted a .366 calibre anyway going to .375 is basically the same thing

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
How about a 375 or 416 Taylor? Shouldn't require any mods other than a new barrel or even a rebore.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
But the itch is for the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke and yes there are a multitude of other options of course. The CT 416 has always been in the thought column for some time also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
Thank you both,that has stuffed up the idea of using the 338 then.She has some nice wood and I wanted to use an old classic cartridge to make her smile.

Back to the thinking board!
Oh if I was to change cals with this rifle with the minimum of fuss what is recommended?

358 Norma Magnum.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
358 Norma Mag is an Excellent idea!
Or you can go oddball and just rebore that 338 to 9.3 (.366") and call it good.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Got one of those already. (358NM)

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
If the primary reason for using this rifle is the stock - that's my assumption - why not just pick up another plainer stock and swap out them out.

Then sale this re-stocked rifle and use the funds to purchase a a plain-jane replacement rifle in with a .470 boltface to use for your 9.3x64; omething to think about.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
I have a spare stock to fit the Mod 70 pictured already,but its not the way I wanted to go about it.

You fellas are blessed with so many gunsmiths and second hand rifles and parts its not funny.