New
Find
Notify
Tools

VZ24 questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got word a VZ24 action is waiting for me to pick up at the FFl from one of the generous board members.

I am going to do a McFarland Bolt knob, Timney trigger and get Mr Kobe to do a two postion safety. What else as far as metal work? I am going to take the ridge off the back of the reciever. I am thinking true the face and recut or chase the barrel threads.... Anything else??? I am not going to do much in the way of stoning, it is getting a matte blue so it does not have to be flawless. Brownell's sells a quarter rib for a Douglas profile. I was going to use NCEG sights and a Gentry barrel band, Douglas C/M barrel. I would like to keep the barrel action at around a $1000.00 if that is possible. Everything other than the grinding of the charging hump on the back of the reciver is going to be sent out

What would I be looking at cost wise to have the back of the reciver square bridged like the CZ 550s?

Does any one suggest magnaflux and re heat treating? All my other customs are Remingtons in tupperware stocks. Everything is in the planning stages now, other than the action nothing has been purchased. I figured I would start my research here.

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
What caliber have you decided to chamber it to? This will answer some other questions.

Generally two comments:
1 The Dakota three pos safety is a far far better safety than the two position ones in function and looks.

2 Heat treating is a big emotional issue on this forum but I'm one that says not to heattreat a VZ-24 as it's not at all necessary.. Magnaflux is typically relevant to eddystones and not Mausers but it won't hurt either. Typically it's not necessary.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
To avoid the issue, vz-24's aren't considered a soft 98... my 550 express is on one... several 100s of rounds, no setback...

on square bridges...no offense, but you have started in the wrong place for an under $1K the legacy m98, if you can find any left, is FAR better and square bridged ,,,, you can get "looks like it's SB", and that will still cost.

Put talley QD bases on the action, and it will look more like what you want. Won't look SB, but it will look along those lines...

Find a gunsmith that will do a package job for you.. email a couple and then talk to them...

Staying under 1K is going to be tough, if you send it out... you've got at least $850 in parts (guess at what you paid for the action) before bluing

the dakota is going to be at least, parts and labor, $150.. AT LEAST

and you haven't mentioned caliber, bottom metal, etc...

with the amount of work you are going to need done, I would just have the smith take the hump off, and shape it, as well...

the face, squaring, and threads should be discussed on the barreling...

here's some steps along the way, if you want to break this into chunks

decide on caliber, purpose, and weight .. and STOCK

get safety (kobe or dakota), bolt handle, bases, and trigger. these can be installed by any decent smith...

decide if you want anything better than the numrich $80 bottom metal... if not, get it

order barrel accessories -sights and band) (trust me, forget the qrib for now)

send the whole lot to ITD (you have already have bolt handle, safety, bottom metal and bases) for rebarreling, installing the sights, and bluing...

when it comes back, drop it in "any ole stock" and shoot it, while you contemplate how you are going to stock and checker it

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caliber is a big one. I was not counting bottom metal in that price. I will go with what the smith suggests, what ever they like to use. I figure that will be 1-$400. I have a 338-06AI and a 280AI for big game. That pretty much does everything I need. I am kicking a 416AR/Howell, 375 Ruger or Dakota. On the check out list is also a 416WSM and 450 Marlin. 411 Hawk and a 416 Aagard are not out of the question. I also thought about going the other way and doing a 6.5x57 or something in that group. Not sure probabaly a magnum w/o a belt. The Taylor family also looks neat, caliber is still up in the air. 100lb whitetails do not take much killing. I am not a big fan of recoil.I think I need a bit of a boomer on this one. I am going to pick up parts here and there for the next few months and put it in a box and ship it off. Parts then labor seem cheaper than all at the same time. Keep the ideas coming

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Through a few modifcations I can get a stock VZ24 trigger to below 2 pounds and control the creep, take up, and overtravel.
That is a varmit level trigger, and you only want big game.

The stock trigger is very robust, and with a saftey on the shroud, you be better off than with a Timmeny.

I have sporterized allot of VZ24s and maybe only one has a Timmeny and another with a Bold. The rest all got shop done trigger jobs.

Randy Ketchum of Lynwood Guns has done trigger jobs for $40 for me.

I do my own in a couple hours.

Here is my shpeal:
quote:
When a gunsmith does a trigger job on a Mauser, he will likely try to reduce three things and then test:
1) Trigger force
a) The rear hump on the trigger is reduced to make a different camming angle of the trigger on the receiver.
b) The spring can be exchanged for a lower force or coils may be clipped from the original
c) The surfaces may be polished:
.1) Cocking piece on bolt assembly and the sear mating surfaces. These must maintain their flat shapes to the mating surfaces. This is an advanced task. If the corner gets rounded, the trigger will not break clean, so the surfaces are not polished with wire wheel, but best in a stoning jig. These surfaces are probably already smooth enough.
.2) Hump on trigger to underside of receiver mating surfaces
.3) The two pins in the trigger assembly may be polished or the holes may be reamed and lapped and the pins replaced with ground and polished pins of a larger size.
d) The angle of the sear and cocking piece engagement can be reduced in some guns, but I have never seen it done in to a Mauser. This is not recommended unless you really know what you are doing. The parts can be easily wrecked and it could cause accidental discharge.
e) The mating surfaces can be lubricated.

2) Take up, this is how far the trigger must be pulled before firing pin release. This is done with a sear engagement adjustment. This adjustment must be enough for safety margin. A good safety test for this is to cock an unloaded gun, and slam the but on the floor and see if the gun fires. If not, add a little more engagement for safety, and set the lock nut.

3) Over travel, this is how far the trigger can be pulled after the gun has fired. Reducing this distance increases accuracy, but if it to short, the gun will not fire.

4) Test for safety. The trigger job may seem to work fine on the bench, but the assembled rifle with screws tightened and the stock in the way may change things. The above but slamming is good, but also cocking the gun repeatedly with the trigger slightly pulled is another test for safety margin. If the gun sometimes does not cock, then more spring force or sear engagement or cutting wood out of the wary, or something is needed.

I should probably quantify what I earlier said about spring wimpyness. The stock Mauser trigger spring has a relaxed length of ~ .74" and is compressed to ~.47" when the gun fires. At that point the spring force is about 15 pounds. That force is translated through the geometry of the trigger to ~ 1 pound of trigger force [ due to trigger spring alone]. The spring has a coil dia of .25" and a wire diameter of .040" giving a spring index of 6.25 [a fairly stiff spring].

I have been substituting springs with relaxed length of .61", a coil dia of .235" and a wire dia of .020" for a spring index of 11.75 [a fairly wimpy spring]. These springs at the point of firing have a force of ~ 1 pound. This translates to ~ one once ounce at the trigger [due to trigger spring alone], less with the rear hump of the trigger ground off. This is not a good choice for military or hunting, but works well for me for targets and varmint hunting.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote