New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Paint
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not really gunsmithing, but I was not sure where else to pose this. I would like to do some stock painting with an airbrush. Where can I buy suitable paint in small quantities? Obviously I do not need gallons or even quarts. Apologies to the real gunsmiths. And please, I do not need to hear about sponges and stencils, etc.

Posts: 763 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use wrinkle paint from a can on wood; makes for a good grip. Otherwise, use Brownells Alumahyde; it comes in cans and it perfect for stocks. And comes in several colors.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sorry, for me, i only paint plastic stocks with rattlecan krylon fusion -- i would expect any boat paint would work well on a stock, but no first hand experience

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use Duracoat with good results. You can buy that in small quantities and it's pretty rugged. I switched to Polane T a few years ago but that's at least in Gallon quantities. The last time I ordered some the store made me order five gallons worth! At least I was able to have that in five different colors.

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The gent I work with uses small 2 oz bottles of craft acrylic paint he gets at the hobby store. Thinner is windshield washer fluid. Then he clear coats with 2 part.

quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
Not really gunsmithing, but I was not sure where else to pose this. I would like to do some stock painting with an airbrush. Where can I buy suitable paint in small quantities? Obviously I do not need gallons or even quarts. Apologies to the real gunsmiths. And please, I do not need to hear about sponges and stencils, etc.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use rattle can Krylon Dual Superbond. ( That may be a Canadian name for the above Fusion.)
I look for a good lawn furniture and ornament paint designed to work in the weather year after year.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been doing rattle cans for years. I want to try to duplicate some work that I have seen that can only be done with an airbrush.

Posts: 763 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to the acrylics you can get at hobby stores, you can also get the metallics and candy colors used to paint model cars. They come in small bottles just about right for airbrushing even if you have to thin them a bit. You don't have to pay House of Colors prices either!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I have been to Hobby Lobby. Most of what I found was geared toward model painting and was pretty flashy. I will try a real old time hobby shop, if I can find one.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
matte clearcoat help?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Duracoat. It works pretty well and is a 2 part paint.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My co-worker said he gets Apple Barrel brand acrylic craft paint at Wal-Mart.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote