THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with some Chrome Plated Scope Bases?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

I have some chome plated Leupold QR scope bases that I have as a hold over from a former project. I may go ahead and use them on a rifle of mine; the problem I have with them is that they are a bit too shiny. I want a more satin or even a matte finish. Better yet if they looked liked they are French Greyed; I would be totally happy.

Is there a quick and inexpensive solution to my problem and if so, I would love to hear your feedback?

Thanks in advance.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Why not have them bead blasted and replated with electroless nickel?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
Friends-

I have some chome plated Leupold QR scope bases that I have as a hold over from a former project. I may go ahead and use them on a rifle of mine; the problem I have with them is that they are a bit too shiny. I want a more satin or even a matte finish. Better yet if they looked liked they are French Greyed; I would be totally happy.

Is there a quick and inexpensive solution to my problem and if so, I would love to hear your feedback?

Thanks in advance.

Mark,

Are they chrome plated or nickel plated? If they are nickel plated Brownells sells a two part stripping solution for less than $40.00. Other than that, look in the yellow pages for a metal refinishing business in your area.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just paint them?

Don

Posts: 128 | Location: Oregon,USA | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stdon:
Why don't you just paint them?

Don

Don,

Thank God you didn’t say with BBQ paint! Smiler

Sort of an on going topic on here awhile back...welcome aboard! beer

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
They might look good on a Weatherby.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Since the bases don't cost much I can't see putting much effort into refinishing them. Sell them to someone who likes shiney stainless steel guns and then buy new ones in the finish you want.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

What Old Elk Hunter said is true...and you might do a search on here because there was a guy a few weeks ago on the optics forum (I think) looking for a chrome plated scope. I don’t recall if he said what kind of rifle it was going on.

posted Hide Post
Spray them with Easy-Off oven cleaner. That ought to take the shine off (test a small area first).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put them in the classifis and sell them to someone who needs them more then you. Then take the money and buy what you want.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends-

Thank you for your answers. I lean the direction of Rick0311 and OldElkHunter; I had these for sale on the board last week and have them on E-bay this week, so by all means I wish someone would take these off of my hands, see link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73952&item=7152945458&rd=1

These are for a Winchester (USRA) Classic Model 70; Stainless of course, with .330 inch rear hole spacing.

George, I am tempted to try oven cleaner.

Thanks all.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mark,
i aint the brightest blub in the box, but i would through them in my tumbler with walnut media....

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote