THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there someone in Southwest Idaho....?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who can at least do a good job of grinding a but pad to fit?

If not, is there someone I can mail my stocks to who does an impeccable job of installation for a fair price?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe did one for me. I just mailed the stock to him.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that a guy that can do surgery should be able to - with the right tools - do it himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpR_yA0UVc4

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart
I like Jeff Thompson at Allison & Carey Gun Works, Inc. in Portland, Or. 503-256-5166. He has done some of our custom rifles. He is a pad expert and very reasonable considering his quality work.
Good luck.
Dave

Posts: 119 | Location: kamiah idaho | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Call Roger Eubanks in Homedale, ID. He is a high end shotgun guy.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think that a guy that can do surgery should be able to - with the right tools - do it himself.

I may have to buy the tools. Smiler I can get a Delta Disc sander for the cost of two pad jobs from Jim.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know Roger very well. I had a medical practice in Homedale for ten years. Dropped off a Benelli for some simple armorer type work. Went back a year later, it was just gathering dust.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lawndart
I like Jeff Thompson at Allison & Carey Gun Works, Inc. in Portland, Or. 503-256-5166. He has done some of our custom rifles. He is a pad expert and very reasonable considering his quality work.
Good luck.
Dave

I will give him a call. Thanks for the lead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
quote:

I know Roger very well. I had a medical practice in Homedale for ten years. Dropped off a Benelli for some simple armorer type work. Went back a year later, it was just gathering dust.

LOL

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would send it to John Farner (Toomany Tools) in New Mexico. He does impeccable work at a reasonable price and in a timely fashion. I just sent him one to do since my shop is down right now and I got it back in a week looking perfect.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Jim Combe out by the cheese factory in Nampa. Elite rifleworks is the name, I think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm checking all venues for price, and quality. Is it just me being cheap, or is $120.00 a bit high for one pad, and grinding. Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim Combe out by the cheese factory in Nampa. Elite rifleworks is the name, I think.

I'll check with Jim Combe, as well. I drive that way on occasion.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm checking all venues for price, and quality. Is it just me being cheap, or is $120.00 a bit high for one pad, and grinding. Eeker

I saw a guy on another forum recently complaining that $65 to install a pad was highway robbery.

$120 for a pad installed correctly and without marring the existing finish will seem like a bargain when that $65 job comes back all fubar!

Best advice is to ask to see examples of pads that have been installed. Then judge for yourself whether the quoted price seems commensurate.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is not too bad. Also check to see if that includes return shipping.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the pad cost btwn $26-$32 (not the retail price) to the grinder. The pad takes about 1-1.5 hrs. to do well. Yes, others do it faster...you get what you pay for. $120 for both the pad and the job done well is a bargain. I charge $135 for the service.

A well done pad IMO: is flush to the wood. Toe and the heel are in line with the top and bottom of the stock. Base of the pad is polished to 600 and there is no step between the rubber and the base. Any scratches in the base go around the pad...not across it. There is no damage to the original finish. Pad is clean of all residue from the sanding. The days of the 20 minute job using 100/220 grit on the sander being the standard has passed. Quality expectations have grown over time. The quality of the material to be ground....has not.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know one profession that not only charges more than that for a quick ten minute visit, but makes you wait an hour to do it!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then...As 135.00, takes a lot of recoil pad jobs to pay for the tooling and supplies to do a proper job IF (Big IF) the guy has the talent in the first place.

No...you don't attach a disc sander to a hand drill!

Dennis puts a coat of wax on the stock and stops sanding when he hits the wax.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't necessarily agree that quality always equates with price. Somebody that charges $50 for the job may be just as capable and do just as good a job as somebody who charges $200.

A lot has to do with perception and supply and demand, and time. For sure, if you are in a hurry you are going to pay more. If you have been convinced that one person does a better job than another person and the extra money is worth it you are going to pay more. In certain areas of town you will pay more. You will pay more for those who have "more" experience, most of the time, but not always. And sometimes it will be true that you get a better job that way, but not always. A lot of it has to do with pride of craftsmanship no matter what is being done.

As a medical professional you might charge $500 for a certain procedure. And you might charge somebody else $200 for the same procedure. I'd bet a dollar to a donut you would do the same quality job on each patient.

I know many lawyers who charge $450 an hour for the same thing that I often do for free to help
poor and disadvantaged people. Same quality, same thing~ Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, now I know that $120.00 is the going rate, I know that is the going rate. Don't shoot me for being ignorant. That is why I asked the question.

quote:
I know one profession that not only charges more than that for a quick ten minute visit, but makes you wait an hour to do it!

As far as the swipe at me for being a doctor, before I had to retire from a total disability, I spent my last ten years as the only doctor in Idaho's poorest county. Instead of taking insurance, I charged $50.00 cash per half hour of work, Another Arizona Writer. Fortunately, I had already paid for the $150,00.00 in Equipment, and the eight years of post college training living on a pittance. I also made hundreds of house calls late at night. I hear that is going out of style. Everyone got world class medical service from me. I felt a calling to practice where I did, and to charge what the people could afford after all the fires burned out the summer pastures.

I live on a $24,000.00 per year military pension because other doctors have gotten everything else. I don't complain about that. It is just how things turned out. I have never let my actions be dictated by a desire to get quality work for a low ball price. I have bought goods and services, some as recently as last week from people on this very post; and without a bit of complaint about the price.

quote:
Don't you think that comment is a bit gratuitous, and beneath you, Duane? Was that a taunt for me being one of the hoi polloi?

quote:
I saw a guy on another forum recently complaining that $65 to install a pad was highway robbery.
I'm sorry Mike, I don't recall ever complaing that $65.00 was too much. How about a "Yeah, Charlie, $120.00 is the going rate."?

larrys, lindy2, thank you for your comments. They were helpful, and right on point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall a sign that said

FAST GOOD CHEAP

Pick two;

But in reality, I think Pick One is more accurate.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you on that, Ray B.

I came across a sign that said Medicine, Flying, Marriage; pick two. Didn't get married until my forties.

Another sign said; sex & flying, or alcohol; make your choice. I never chose alcohol.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, now I know that $120.00 is the going rate, I know that is the going rate. Don't shoot me for being ignorant. That is why I asked the question.

quote:

As far as the swipe at me for being a doctor, before I had to retire from a total disability, I spent my last ten years as the only doctor in Idaho's poorest county. Instead of taking insurance, I charged $50.00 cash per half hour of work, Another Arizona Writer. Fortunately, I had already paid for the $150,00.00 in Equipment, and the eight years of post college training living on a pittance. I also made hundreds of house calls late at night. I hear that is going out of style. Everyone got world class medical service from me. I felt a calling to practice where I did, and to charge what the people could afford after all the fires burned out the summer pastures.

I live on a $24,000.00 per year military pension because other doctors have gotten everything else. I don't complain about that. It is just how things turned out. I have never let my actions be dictated by a desire to get quality work for a low ball price. I have bought goods and services, some as recently as last week from people on this very post; and without a bit of complaint about the price.

quote:
Don't you think that comment is a bit gratuitous, and beneath you, Duane? Was that a taunt for me being one of the hoi polloi?

quote:
I'm sorry Mike, I don't recall ever complaing that $65.00 was too much. How about a "Yeah, Charlie, $120.00 is the going rate."?

larrys, lindy2, thank you for your comments. They were helpful, and right on point.

Charlie,

Please don't lump me in with the rest. I guess you would have had to have read the post to really appreciate my comment. The guy was saying that he could buy a harbor freight sander and do it himself for that price.

Is $120 the going rate? I dunno, I only charged $65 which is why I suggested having a look to see for yourself the quality. I was sort of implying what Lindy said. But I'll try to limit my future input to perhaps yes and no answers so as to avoid having my comments misconstrued.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I apologize Mike. I was seeing red by then. I see now that you were saying what lindy was saying. I'm calmer now, so please don't limit your answers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets say a 60 dollar shop rate starting from the time you receive it to taking old pad off.

Installing the new one preparing the stock ect then doing the grinding add all the time it takes.

120 sounds about right if some one wants to work for less more power to them.

Or you can buy the grinder set it up dink around doing it your self I bet you have a min . of 3 hours maybe 4.

What your time worth.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Lets say a 60 dollar shop rate starting from the time you receive it to taking old pad off.

Installing the new one preparing the stock ect then doing the grinding add all the time it takes.

120 sounds about right if some one wants to work for less more power to them.

Or you can buy the grinder set it up dink around doing it your self I bet you have a min . of 3 hours maybe 4.

What your time worth.

Yup and then add in the time it takes to pack it back up and drive it to the shipper, or if you screw it up and have to add another pad to it, or, or,

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What your time worth.

More than likely most people who would do this job their self would not take time off from their job to do it so it really isn't a comparison.

People may be willing to exchange their valuable free time to do something for their self that - if they do a decent job - they can be proud of and show off to their buddies out at the hunting shack or on the next hunting or shooting trip.

We don't usually ask whether its worth our time to load a box of cartridges, or train the dog, or butcher the deer, or watch TV at night, and so on.

Everyone will place their own subjective value on such a project. And its probably just as much about confidence in being able to do a decent job as it is about money, except perhaps for those earning a minimum wage or retired on a fixed social security or small pension income.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, the going rate is $120-$135, especially for folks who only do it on complete custom rifle jobs.

From replies from general gunsmiths, it seems to run from $75-$120.

That answers the question I had. Skill will vary, roughly with, with cost. Time to start saving.

Thank you all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a gunsmith. I have made a few stocks and installed pads on most of them and done a few pads for friends. I wouldn't do it for $65.00. There is too much risk, unless you have the correct tools it can be difficult and the quality of the job low. I think $120 for a good pad on a high end gun is a steal. If the pad was furnished for that price I'd have to back in to pick it up.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acutally Duane.....it is masking tape! And I grind the pads off the stock using either one of two pad grinding jigs I have purchased in order to do the job. I use the tape to keep the final processes of dressing down the pad from damaging the stock. I only grind a pad on the stock when I am building a new stock for a client.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I decided to put up. Just bought a sander, and a jig. If I can put faces back together from chainsaw bites, I better be able to grind a pad. Will post pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have fun and post some pictures when your done.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your decision. If you want or need help give me a call. Always willing to serve. Information is still free at my shop. 541-483-2182. Thank you for serving our country. Without those who have served, I believe the craft I use/enjoy would be history.

Dennis Earl Smith

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Lawndart

If you use those hands/fingers to put chainsaw bite back together, they may be too valuable to be used for grinding/sanding.
Jus Sayin.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis, thank you for your kind words. Serving our country and/or other people has been the greatest privilege of my life.

TC, Thanks for the words of caution. I think I will wear kevlar gloves, and be vewy, vewy careful around the Chop saw. The 100 tooth blade, when used with masking tape, makes for a splinter free cut.
(Hopefully not through my wrist).