New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surface grinder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can maybe get my hands on one our company's machine shop no longer needs. I'll try and post the brand name. Condition looks old and used. It needs a wheel. The table moves just fine and feels smooth.

Is this possibly a valuable item to anyone? I'll post the brand name later. The thing weighs a whole lot more than I can lift. I reckon shipping will be steep. Take that into consideration. I guess I can figure out how much it's worth by looking at eBay. I just thought someone here may have an idea.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Henry,
these things vary from 650 bucks to 25,000, depending...

What voltage is it? loads of them are 440, which can be rewired to 220 3ph, either would require a VFD which aint cheap.

jeffe

Posts: 38593 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
My pop has a 220 3 phase converter for his lathe, and he's looking for a grinder. Pass on the particulars and I'll see if he's interested. WV is only a long day's round trip if it'll fit in the back of a pick up.

Bill

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Henry,

You will find a lot of them on Ebay and shipping can be a problem. I found a K O Lee on Ebay that was unused and got it for $1400, which was about 16% of the original cost and I got it shipped for $400. The wheels are not that expensive. You also need a diamond wheel dresser and a magnetic clutch but it likely has that.

A lot of these tools are a lot bigger than a person needs to surface grind actions but you use what you can.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HC
I bought a DoAll 6X12 220 volt 3phase on ebay for just under $500. I should have insisted that I see it run it before loading it on my truck. Got it home, wired it up to my home made $75 rotary phase converter, and the spindle bearings made a very loud noise. I didn't think this would be a very expensive problem untill I priced the bearings. The 4 class 7 angular contact spindle bearings run around $800. Having somebody replace them and run them in for 40 hours would have cost $1500. Now a good runing grinder looks pretty cheap to me selling for $1500. I ended up taking my spindle apart and replacing the rear two bearings with class 2 bearings for $40. It doesn't grind with a perfect finish, but for gunwork where everything is polished before bluing, and less than $550 invested, it works pretty good. When I do buy another I will bring my own grinding wheel, diamond dressor and a chunk of steel to check the finish. Another reason the finish may not be perfect is my phase converter. Real 3 phase will produce a noticably better finish than homemade. The VFD inverters will also produce a better finish that a rotary or static converter. I can polish out the grinding marks with a few swipes of 220 wet/dry so it works fine for me.

gunmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a Boyar-Schultz Hydraulic Surface Grinder.

It was sold by Apex Machine Tool Supply in Charlotte, NC.

It runs on 208-200 or 440 V 3 phase. It's currently wired for 440, but anyone who'd buy such a thing probably knows how to switch over to 220.

It appears to have a dust collector duct running into the lower part of the stand/cabinet. I neglected to check out the magnetic chuck. The table does have a long slot that looks as if it's made for T-nuts.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote