Find
Notify
Tools

P 14 to 45/70 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted
I was out scrounging the other day when I bought a P 14 action and a P 14 converted to 7mm Rem Mag ( bad barrel ) for a song .

I was wondering how hard and costly it would be to get the action to work in 45/70 properly .

Also any gunsmiths you would recomend for the work ?

I have been thinking of a bolt action 45/70 for a while .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
I have been contemplating the same project for a while now. The problem is the feed rails. Seems no one wants to play with the feed rails.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a p14 that has not been worked over would be easier to go 45/70 than one that feeds 7rem...

got any loading dummies?

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I understand the 45/70 for the ease of ammunition availability, but since this is a P-14, why not something larger like a 45-110?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
johnch,
How about a 458American if it's already set up to feed a 7mmRemMag correctly? Or possibly download a 458WM? Might be simpler...
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I have the complete unaltered action AND a complete rifle with a bad barrel currently chambered in 7mm Rem mag .

I currently load for the 45/70 and feel it will handel anything in the US or Cannada if I do my part with the right bullet .

I am not a fan of long range shooting , I preferr to be up close and personal.
A big bullet at a moderate speed .

Besides I plan on using cast bullets for plinking and some hunting .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two P14s ... you lucky devil! In that case take the 7mmRemMag chambered P14 and have it rebarreled to 458American (458x2"), 450Marlin or a 458WM, in that order of preference. They're a heavy action, so a 20" barrel on a 458American should do nicely and wont recoil too much. Brass can be made from just about any magnum case and I reckon 458WM dies, maybe even 450Marlin dies will work well enough. Projectiles will be compatable with your 45/70, but you wont need to keep ammunition separated to stop confusion as to which rifle it belongs to. Avoiding confusion may be important if your 45/70 is a weaker actioned one. Total cost of the project could be eased by selling one of the P14s.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote