Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Classic Action
 Login/Join

<Hans>
posted
Gentlemen:
I have the chance to pick up a Winchester classic .458 Win Mag Express rifle for $600.00. (The stock has been shortened to midgit length so that will have to go).
Does this rifle use a .375 H&H length Action or a standard length action?
I ask because if it uses the Magnum length action I will pick it up to build a .416 Dakota on.
Thank you
Hans

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a magnum lenth, all m-70's are in the larger bores and all pre 64 Win. are mag lenth...

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The opening of the action (loading/ejection port) is longer on the .375H&H, 300H&H, etc. than the .458 Win Mag. A loaded 375H&H round is longer than the action opening on the .458 Win mag. I also believe that there is a block in the magazine that would need to be removed.

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And it is a simple milling operation to open up the port at the rear bridge, I have accomplished this many times on the M70 actions. Then off to the hot caustic tank for a nice matte blue. You may either remove the magazine spacer, or install a new one for the 375. And a new longer follower, plus a little work on the bolt stop and ejector.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Rich>
posted
I used a .458 classic express for my .375, the action does have the long ejection port and .330" rear base hole spacing of the .375 action. The post 64 long action is mag length, 30-06 length uses a mag spacer in this action. Just get the .375 mag box and follower from Brownells. pre-64s are 30-06 length, they cut the bottom lug and the rear bridge to get the H&Hs to fit.