Find
Notify
Tools

Dealing with exterior pitting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Have a Remington 141 in .35 Remington inbound. I got it cheap because the exterior has some pitted areas on the left receiver flat, just forward of the chamber on the left of the barrel and near the muzzle on the right. These will not "lightly polish out," so I am thinking I will just have to live with them. Am I missing any other options besides filing/grinding/stoning?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They can be filled by micro welding using TIG technology by a talented experienced welder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This may be sacrilege, but you could Duracoat it in their black color that looks like gun blue and it'll fill in the holes and the gun will look "blued".

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of material to play with on those guns. Odds are it could be polished or surface ground clean and re-blued. You would have to take it to someone who blues professionally and ask them. In days gone by I've reclaimed some pretty horrific looking stuff.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. Should have it hand in a few days and I will have a better idea of what I am up against.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
You'll have to try and find it if you are interested but a while ago I was reading an article and the fellow was refinishing a rifle with duracoat or cerocoat or one of those bake on coats. Anyway, he had some kind of filler he used on the pitted areas and then applied the coating over it. Not traditional in any sense of the word but otherwise the only way to get rid of them is welding or grinding.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
totally unsafe to shoot .. you can be charged with reckless negligence, now that you have been informed...

please PM me for shipping details to have it destroyed properly.. i'll make certain it never hurts anyone ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
You'll have to try and find it if you are interested but a while ago I was reading an article and the fellow was refinishing a rifle with duracoat or cerocoat or one of those bake on coats. Anyway, he had some kind of filler he used on the pitted areas and then applied the coating over it. Not traditional in any sense of the word but otherwise the only way to get rid of them is welding or grinding.

I have done this with a 10/22 receiver that someone had written their name in the side with an electric pencil. I used a JB Weld epoxy "Indestro Weld" because it is rated to 600F or so, anyway just fill in and sand down smooth. I had to fill it twice and as the first sanding I was not satisfied with (don't remember why exactly) but after it was smoothed down, sprayed and baked it didn't look bad.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
They make automotive spot putty for filling pits and if you were using a paint type coating it works just fine. My buddy runs a sheet metal shop that make lots of commercial stuff and some of it needs to look good. They use the spot putty, sand it smooth and then powder coat and bake it and it comes out great!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
surface grind if you can otherwise polish down to 320 grit and then bead blast unless the pits are really deep it shouldn't be to noticeable after bluing

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
First you need to get all the rust out of the pits.

Second you need to stop the rusting process.

I had a similar issue - badly pitted 100+ year old Simson M98 Mauser. The photos do not show most of the pitting (80%??), much of it is under the wood but enough is shown in the photos to give you an idea.

I got it rust blued by a guy who worked at Holland & Holland for 2 years as a worker. He learned his basics well!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently discover my beautiful K-38 badly rusted. Had 1/16" of rust all over it. Made me sick when I found it. Soaked it two days in vinegar and got the rust off and stopped. Sure made a nasty looking gun though. Various parts had different types of metal it was made from.
Took it to the local gunsmith knowing I'd really wrecked a fine gun and hoped he could save it.

The insides were just as bad he said. Didn't want to polish it out as that would take way too much metal off it. He got it cleaned up and working again like it should. Bore and cyl bores were fine.
He painted it with black duracoat and it looks strange but, real nice frosty looking finish. Never seen a gun that looked like this before but it's sure not unattractive. Wish I could post pictures.

Let's see it when it comes in before and after ok? Hope it's not too bad.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Was unfamiliar with Duracoat. Interesting product.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Rem 141 isn't a high dollar rifle for whatever reason, and its a quality well made firearm, you got a good deal on it so I would probably scrub it with oil and 0000 steel wool, it won't hurt the blue and will sorta clean up the gun and stop the corrosion...cost $1.00 max..and go shoot and enjoy the gun in a neat caliber.

If it must be fixed the last thing Id do is put some modern finish on it..I would expend $300 or a rust blue job, and refinish the wood. Lots of metal to work with, and the pitting is easy fix. I have spot welded pitting with bailing wire as it blues to match the original finish, take lots of time, but really works..I did that for Robgunbuilder on an original H&H, a gun he was the middle man on a trade for a double rifle for me..I won't discuss the rest of that trade but it sure worked out well for all of us.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote