Find
Notify
Tools

Paint for synthetic stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I tried Fleck Stone on a Fajen's synthetic stock and did not like the result ... nice coloring but too fragile.

Washed and sand blasted the stuff off. Stock also picked up some dings and it needs a little prep with epoxy and some sanding.

What is a good material with which to get a high quality finish. I really like the finish on my McMillan and on the HS Precision stocks I own. Have an air brush and a good source of clean, dry air.

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillan (as well as other synthetic stock makers) use Polane-T. It is fairly nasty stuff, and requires a significant investment for only one or a few stocks.

The material is only sold by the gallon, and by the time you buy a single color, catalyst, flattening base, reducer and accelerator, you are well beyond $300 in material alone before you buy any equipment to spray it.

You need a fairly good HVLP gravity feed gun to get a decent finish, and a bit of experience to get the base and texture coats just right without runs.

You will need someplace well ventilated to spray, and a good respirator, preferably a fresh air supplied one.

For a single stock, I'd not even consider getting set up for Polane. Heck, unless you are going to do more than 20 or 30, it is probably not worth the expense and effort.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with CAS11, Polane is great. Beside the mask you might want gloves and long sleeve shirts. The paint will take a real beating. It is not inexpensive. CAS, is Polane painting available from you. The young man that has done all of mine is going into the Navy as soon as he finishes his Masters Degree. That will be this summer.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use RustOLeim textured...Wamart has it..6BR shown...

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
For the synthetic stock finisher how close are Polane-T and Duracoat in durability, ease of application, etc ?

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
krylon fussion ... 5 bucks a can at wallyworld

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The McMillan I have is probably 7 years old. Has been dragged all over the place. It has only a small place where the paint has been damaged ... the point of the back of the bolt handle slot.

I did a Brownell's glass and Kevlar stock in duracoat about 18 months ago. It seems to be much easier to scratch. Could be that the paint coat is not as thick I suppose.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Krylon paint textured or not. I've used both and had it last for years.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've tried a bunch of the kind what comes in spray bombs. Now I only use Polane T. Have it in a desert tan, color called snail, and black and white. The cheapest and smallest sprayer you can find works best for giving the paint texture. Takes a few days to harden completely but is real tough stuff.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your up or down depending on ones view in WV.
Try a Marine supplier or Professional paint supplier . If Marine try Interlux or AWL Grip.
Automotive try Valspar or PPG . Use high gloss then scuff with 3M scotch pad , ditto with a top clear coat . Gloss has higher durability even after being knocked back by scuffing than does flat paint . There are also some rock solid texture epoxies in colors do a search for bed liner materials or garage floor coatings .

Good Luck . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Krylon Fusion, comes in 4 camo matte colors, $4/can at Walmart.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did he mention wanting a camo pattern ?.
Nice job on the camo .

I've seen all kinds of painted stocks from a Fire Red BR 6MM to huge bore black bed liner spray texture . Bed liner and epoxy paints offer the most durable finishes some look good then again .

I sprayed one for a fellow once he wanted it to look like granite . It did ! , not what I would choose but that's why there are a zillion colors to choose from . I saw one done in pebble stone once !. I sincerely hope that was only for showing what could be done , because it was just to weird Ugly !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello mstarling,
Go down to the Hobby Shop, downtown Charleston and ask for 21stCentury aerosol paint. If they do not have in stock will order for you in about any military style/color/finish you might be looking for on your stocks. Careful, stuff is nasty and use outdoors or well ventilated area and gloves. This paint was favorite of many of us in Alaska several years ago due to it's resistance to bug dope, oils, solvents, etc. Takes a day or so to dry and is tough when it cures. Primary use for model airplanes, boats, etc. which use that super fuel. Spend a fortune on a model airplane, decals, paint, etc. and have the fuel just disolve the finish is not a good thing. Price of the last can I bought was something in the 10.00 range, but it does work fine. Good Luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+++1 on Fusion... thumb

The "key" is in the PREP-WORK...

Here are a few I've done...

NO problems from being in the field under HEAVY use is my report...

I encourage you to try it...Its better than what some might lead you to think...

PM me if interested, I'll walk you through it...

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
Did he mention wanting a camo pattern ?.
Nice job on the camo .

I guess he didn't but I just wanted him to see the matte colors available, it comes in nice sparkley colors too.

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice patterns Recoil Rob. Stock is for a .458 and one usually doesn't take a camo'd rifle to Africa. So ... was thinking of a gray or brown color.

Thanks for the data Guys!

Mike

--------------

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GunCat:
For the synthetic stock finisher how close are Polane-T and Duracoat in durability, ease of application, etc ?

From what I'm told, they come out of the same can until Dura-coat repackages it. Dura-coat may be expensive for a few ounces, but it sure beats $50+ for a gallon.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:
quote:
Originally posted by GunCat:

From what I'm told, they come out of the same can until Dura-coat repackages it. Dura-coat may be expensive for a few ounces, but it sure beats $50+ for a gallon.

That's what I've been hearing...just wanted one more confirmation

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may not be in line with what you're wanting but a friend of mine uses the automotive finishes from House of Kolors. Very exotic and very durable, but they charge something like $40 for the catalog! But if you're looking for candy or metallic paint this could be the place.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When choosing any coating for a stock make sure it's solvent resistant . Unless you know how to keep the cleaning solvents off the finish .

I like real durable urethanes or epoxy finishes not only for superior abrasion properties but also for solvent resistant finishes .

That's why Aerospace or Aircraft or even model aircraft paints ( which were suggested ) are IMO the best . They are formulated to with stand nasty Fuels , brake fluids as well as Hydraulic fluid .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute