THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendtions on CRF feed rail/ramp work.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who do you recommend for smoothing up a CRF/mauser action? The rails seem to need smoothing as they scratch the brass. Not sure about the ramp. Everything will feed, but it isn't smooth, and the brass gets scratched.

I'm willing to try it myself for just smoothing, but I'm not willing to do anywork that would change the shape of anything. I'm handy at most things, but I don't want to do something that can't be undone....

Any tips, pointers, recommendations on doing it myself or a 100% solid gunsmith to send it to are welcome.

Thanks,
JCM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just my .02 JCM but when I bought a used FN 98 a few yrs back I had the same problem. I cut a small peice of Scotchbrite pad(green) and smoothed out what may have been either tiny burrs if you will or just "rough" edges under the rails.

another fine way is to take the barrel off and mould stone the rails. One day I will buy the basic required tools to do just that. Need to index the receiver/barrel before you remove the barrel

or get in touch with a number any of the AR members here who practice this work-I use a few of them as well.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote