THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Install and review of Lathemaster 5C Collet Chuck

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Install and review of Lathemaster 5C Collet Chuck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Appreciate your feedback:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9C9YCR8AMk

Wally
Waggoner Rifles

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This guy has been flooding the internet with self gratifying you tube videos.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Self promotion seems to be the norm these days.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I know what I'm doin' wrong! I don't have a big orange ash tray sittin' on the headstock of my lathe!

Posts: 701 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the part that strikes me is the 1/10,000 runout .. in a grizzly lathe, outside of an environmentally controlled toolroom...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wallyw, is that you in the video? Don't you think you could have held off on your smoke until you were off camera?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the kind remarks.

Flooding the internet? Four video? You are free to carp. I appreciate all the men all those years ago who took the time to write the books, magazine columns, and personally mentor aspiring gunsmiths such as myself.

Semper Fi,

Wally
Waggoner Rifles

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wally

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to enjoy your shop, your grand kids, whatever- take it easy on those lung darts.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wally,

Not sure if there's a history I don't understand behind all the comments.

FWIW I'm glad to know there's an alternative lower cost collet chuck on the market. I used one a couple of times at Trinidad and liked it. Also, liked that it could be indicated in.

Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Wally,

Not sure if there's a history I don't understand behind all the comments.

FWIW I'm glad to know there's an alternative lower cost collet chuck on the market. I used one a couple of times at Trinidad and liked it. Also, liked that it could be indicated in.

Thanks,
Steve
I'm real unsure of the "lower cost" stuff. I never seem to be satisfied with it once I have it. Found it easier to pay once, cry once. Life's too short to fiddle with tools that doen't work like you think it should. The "true-set"/"set-true" feature's been around a long time, not much new there. To each his own, I guess.

Posts: 701 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate your comments Steve.

There is a long history. Don't think there is anything personal about it. Dates back to at least the dial-up Bulletin Boards then the early internet forums. Remember the annual fights in the magazines over whether the .270 Winchester was adequate for Blacktail deer?

There are two camps in the Gunsmithing community. I don't believe this was the case in the era of Bob Brownell,Roy Dunlap and, before him, James Howe. Many, many others.Times were hard and they made what ever machine they could get work. And so many of them were always ready to encourage and mentor new guys.

After the war thousands of great tools hit the market as the military and defense industry was dramatically cut. So many were unused or used lightly. We supplied the world with very good tools.

Times have changed. Our government policy made it nearly impossible to produce goo machines here. At the same time shooters were demanding more precision, more accuracy. Too many experienced guys will no longer encourage the beginner. Often times insisting affordable tooling just wouldn't cut it.

Over the last 15 years or so that has been changing dramatically. Tens of thousands of guys, both beginner and experienced, have found that it is better to be making chips than chasing around for months or years looking for the great buy and searching for parts to bring it back to a useable state.

Hopefully we'll reign in an out of control government and once again produce affordable machine tools. Meanwhile there are tool companies providing some very serviceable alternatives. They've got good service and parts ready available. And warrantees!

Enjoy. When you get a tool check it out immediately. If not up to snuff return it and get another or a refund. That forces companies to keep improving their quality control.

Semper Fi,

WallyW

Wally
Waggoner Rifles

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm real unsure of the "lower cost" stuff. I never seem to be satisfied with it once I have it. Found it easier to pay once, cry once. Life's too short to fiddle with tools that doen't work like you think it should. The "true-set"/"set-true" feature's been around a long time, not much new there. To each his own, I guess

tu2Cheap tools have always cost me more as I ended up getting the better stuff later anyway.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wally!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
I'm real unsure of the "lower cost" stuff. I never seem to be satisfied with it once I have it. Found it easier to pay once, cry once. Life's too short to fiddle with tools that doen't work like you think it should. The "true-set"/"set-true" feature's been around a long time, not much new there. To each his own, I guess

tu2Cheap tools have always cost me more as I ended up getting the better stuff later anyway.

I think we have all experienced that to some extent. Part of learning. How many of us, however, could have afforded to start out with the "better stuff"? Would even have known what the "better stuff" was pre-internet?

How many of us started out with a really decent mill vice? Or started by grinding HSS bits before graduating to really good carbide insert? I'm thankful for that experienceSmilerStruggled to do acceptable barrel work with a three jaw chuck? Drilled and tapped receivers with only a drill chuck w/maybe a jig from Brownells?

It would be nice if everyone could afford to start with the "better stuff".

Semper Fi,

Wally
Waggoner Rifles

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
This guy has been flooding the internet with self gratifying you tube videos.

Maybe there is some history between you two but it looks like you are taking a shot at a guy who is doing nothing wrong and is putting effort into educating us.

I am very thankful for all the experts and novices who spend their precious time posting useful info onto the internet. I can do(DIY) far, far more today than I could have 15 years ago because the internet is so full of great info.

I wish more craftsmen would take the time to post their info to the web instead of crapping on those who do.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I think maybe it was the lung darts, No excuses though.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jim

No sweat Jim.

Semper Fi,

WallyW

Wally
Waggoner Rifles

one of us
posted Hide Post
My heartfelt thanks to all that responded and viewed.

Semer Fi,

WallyW

Wally
Waggoner Rifles

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Say Jim...Not to make too bit a point...BUT...what is "Professional Member, American Custom Gunmakers Guild" if not self aggrandizing/self promoting, from another point of view???? You self promote EVERY TIME YOU POST...right?

AND...since when is self promotion a bad thing...this has been going on since man became man. How do you think people get promoted up the ladder...by hiding in the bushes and keeping mute.

How/why do you think all these neat/not-so-neat gun products, high dollar rifles all over the net, gun rags and TV get promoted???... so YOU can find them and buy them. How else would you know what is out there and available?

It seems like no matter what forum you go to people think it is de rigueur to smart mouth so they think they're kool. Maybe it's a product of our times since the internet or just people being rude because most are hiding behind nom-de-plumes.

Hey...I have an even cheaper alternative...I mounted a H/V angle collet holder to my 10" face plate and I keep within 0.001" TIR without too much trouble. I looked at that same fixture but the difference between the cost of the H/V angle collet and the one in the video bought me a McGowen 50 cal barrel that is now a 50-70. My morpho-rig keeps close enough tolerances to turn cast lead bullets to whatever shape I want and they are as accurate as cast bullets can be expected to shoot...same with brass bullets for the same rifle and for my 20ga HellBoy.

It's nice to have fancy equipment, high dollar CNC machinery and environmentally temp controlled shops and any machinist knows about the problems with keeping that nebulous 0.00001" or finer runout but I DON'T MAKE HIGH DOLLAR RIFLES...I'm a home hobbyist along with thousands of other home hobbyists that STLL make accurate bug holer rifles and are very happy with our efforts....ON THE CHEAP.

If you're making you bacon with your gun shop, that's one story, but YOUR living and hobbyists efforts don't even begin to coincide, why whizz on the little guy?

What if EVERYONE had access to CNC tools and could turn out fine weapons? That would make todays competition look like Sunday school?

Neither of the CNC shops in my area are really temp controlled other than open doors and fans in the summer and heaters in the winter and they are turning out parts for just about anything and everything INCLUDING high tolerance gun parts and medical equipment parts 18 hrs a day...I can't even get them to do a small run of brass/alum bullets.

Why is it that many of you that DO make those highly valued and wanted shooters seem to want/need to kick dirt in the faces of those that can't...is THAT just another example of self promotion or keeping them in their place or....WHAT????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
Say Jim...Not to make too bit a point...BUT...what is "Professional Member, American Custom Gunmakers Guild" if not self aggrandizing/self promoting, from another point of view???? You self promote EVERY TIME YOU POST...right?

AND...since when is self promotion a bad thing...this has been going on since man became man. How do you think people get promoted up the ladder...by hiding in the bushes and keeping mute.

How/why do you think all these neat/not-so-neat gun products, high dollar rifles all over the net, gun rags and TV get promoted???... so YOU can find them and buy them. How else would you know what is out there and available?

It seems like no matter what forum you go to people think it is de rigueur to smart mouth so they think they're kool. Maybe it's a product of our times since the internet or just people being rude because most are hiding behind nom-de-plumes.

Hey...I have an even cheaper alternative...I mounted a H/V angle collet holder to my 10" face plate and I keep within 0.001" TIR without too much trouble. I looked at that same fixture but the difference between the cost of the H/V angle collet and the one in the video bought me a McGowen 50 cal barrel that is now a 50-70. My morpho-rig keeps close enough tolerances to turn cast lead bullets to whatever shape I want and they are as accurate as cast bullets can be expected to shoot...same with brass bullets for the same rifle and for my 20ga HellBoy.

It's nice to have fancy equipment, high dollar CNC machinery and environmentally temp controlled shops and any machinist knows about the problems with keeping that nebulous 0.00001" or finer runout but I DON'T MAKE HIGH DOLLAR RIFLES...I'm a home hobbyist along with thousands of other home hobbyists that STLL make accurate bug holer rifles and are very happy with our efforts....ON THE CHEAP.

If you're making you bacon with your gun shop, that's one story, but YOUR living and hobbyists efforts don't even begin to coincide, why whizz on the little guy?

What if EVERYONE had access to CNC tools and could turn out fine weapons? That would make todays competition look like Sunday school?

Neither of the CNC shops in my area are really temp controlled other than open doors and fans in the summer and heaters in the winter and they are turning out parts for just about anything and everything INCLUDING high tolerance gun parts and medical equipment parts 18 hrs a day...I can't even get them to do a small run of brass/alum bullets.

Why is it that many of you that DO make those highly valued and wanted shooters seem to want/need to kick dirt in the faces of those that can't...is THAT just another example of self promotion or keeping them in their place or....WHAT????

Who are you? He

Jim is an ACGG gunsmith by doing quality custom work that has been graded by his peers.
You do not know him and are doing to him what you accuse him of. What is your agenda? Are you a ACGG gunsmith or toolmaker. Let's see your wares?
What is the OP doing? He has posted on numerous forums with the contact and a pat on the back for the owner"I guess" of this tooling.
I have a couple other gripes about this, but it needs to die.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Hoss...I didn't say a DAMED THING ABOUT KOBE'S PROFESSIONALISM...He accused Wally of self gratification and I SAID I DIDN'T SEE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE VIDEO AND KOBE'S LISTING HIS MEMBERSHIP...NONE WHATSOEVER...and that isn't impugning his character OR his abilities in ANY WAY.

I get disgusted with the continual zingers.

Wally put out a video...and put himself on the line when he asked for input...and what did people do...JUST WHAT I SAID THEY WOULD DO...kick dirt in his face so to speak with cheap childish shots...Doing what he did is a lot more than many of you are willing to do.

What hurt did he do to any of YOU by doing his video...if you don't like them...DON'T LOOK...it's NO SKIN OFF YOUR NOSE WHAT WALLEY DOES, HE DOESN'T IMPACT YOU IN ANY WAY.

Why in the hell would you even CARE what Wally does.

I've been building rifles for 50 odd years and to put it precisely Ya'll don't deserve to see my best "products"...they are only for family members and YOU don't qualify...the rest do the job they were built to do and are pretty enough for that.

You go and be whatever it is you think you are, Lambert, and I will be what I am.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HAHAHAHAHA! Man I love people like you. Short fuse. You must be 60 as you have built rifles for 50yrs. You would be dead with your temper if you were older.. Go take another drink and go to bed!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, remember what they say about arguing with an idiot?.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
Hey, Hoss...I didn't say a DAMED THING ABOUT KOBE'S PROFESSIONALISM...He accused Wally of self gratification and I SAID I DIDN'T SEE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE VIDEO AND KOBE'S LISTING HIS MEMBERSHIP...NONE WHATSOEVER...and that isn't impugning his character OR his abilities in ANY WAY.

I get disgusted with the continual zingers.

Wally put out a video...and put himself on the line when he asked for input...and what did people do...JUST WHAT I SAID THEY WOULD DO...kick dirt in his face so to speak with cheap childish shots...Doing what he did is a lot more than many of you are willing to do.

What hurt did he do to any of YOU by doing his video...if you don't like them...DON'T LOOK...it's NO SKIN OFF YOUR NOSE WHAT WALLEY DOES, HE DOESN'T IMPACT YOU IN ANY WAY.

Why in the hell would you even CARE what Wally does.

I've been building rifles for 50 odd years and to put it precisely Ya'll don't deserve to see my best "products"...they are only for family members and YOU don't qualify...the rest do the job they were built to do and are pretty enough for that.

You go and be whatever it is you think you are, Lambert, and I will be what I am.

Chill man, I thought I had apologized to the man a few posts back.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
And I thank you for that Jim.

Wally
Waggoner Rifles

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% with ALL of the posts in this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

Chill man, I thought I had apologized to the man a few posts back.

quote:

Jim

Classy apology Jim.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote