THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can the .376 Steyr be built on the MRC 1999SA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 1999 SA hanging around and a CZ3 stock to put it in.

Since they're intermediate length actions can I take advantage of that and build the Steyr? As far as I can tell the Steyr's COL is 3.011. Montana says that the 1999 SA "comes standard with one of 2 different magazine boxes. One for standard cartridges that has an internal magazine length of 3.125" and one for the Winchester Short Magnum Cartridges." What length os the WSM's? Would the WSM box work better with the Steyr?

I imagine I'll have to have the bolt face opened and the feeding addressed but this is workable, isn't it?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
YES!!!

was looking at this the other day, with a couple shells and an action. The steyr's OAL will vary with the bullet/crimp of course.

you want the standard box to start with, open the rails, and i bet it's DARN close to working

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
YES!!!

was looking at this the other day, with a couple shells and an action. The steyr's OAL will vary with the bullet/crimp of course.

you want the standard box to start with, open the rails, and i bet it's DARN close to working

jeffe

Mine works great. I think it was the first one Montana Arms made as I paid extra for the reamer. Mine went to Serengeti before it came to me. They did the Serengeti treatment several other things and a SS stock. It holds 4 down and one in the chamber and it will feed even when you just lay a round on the feed ramp. Of course if you read the current Montana Arms fine print it says you must get someone else to so the feeding work on a 376 Steyr. Must have had a lot of trouble with mine. I sent them 10 rounds with Barnes X 270gr and Swift A Frames with 270grs and told them to insure they would feed everytime. The OAL was about 3.1. They feed everytime. I get almost 2700FPS from factory 270gr Hornadys at 20 feet and 86 degrees(30C). They are pretty hot in my rifle. I took 270 Swift A-Frames loaded to just under 2600FPS to Africa last year using Varget and I was happy with the results.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good, what contour barrel did you have Montana put on an what length and twist?

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
me?
at least 23", lightest barrel they would put on it, and about 1x12 or 1x14

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote